Comparison

Old 04-28-2020, 08:48 AM

Default Comparison

Has anyone used the moda solids? How is the feel? I know I like Kona because it almost feels silky, of want of a better word.
I was looking for kona solids for a cheaper price, but the places I looked (online, of course) don't carry it. Help please.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Administrator

i think genuine Kona (has the Robert Kaufman name and trademark; do not be fooled by imitations) is less expensive than moda bella solids. of course, that depends on where you buy it.

this site is most likely to have moda bella for the best price: (currently $5.99 plus shipping)
https://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ind...category_ID=27

Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM

try fabric.com
Old 04-28-2020, 07:29 PM

I have always liked Kaufman Kona - I bought a bolt of “snow” many years ago from Mary Jo’s (closed forever now) in Gastonia, NC. I use it specifically for redwork but it’s great for appliqué, too. Recently, I got a BOM and it needed lots of fabric for the appliqued squares. The designer recommend Mods Bella (I’ve bought charm squares and fat quarters in the past) so I bought 10 yards from Hancocks of Paducah. They will give you a great discount In 5 or 10 (or more) running yards - so it came out to a little under $6/yard which is great for Moda. Bella is beautiful to the touch and I am very impressed, as I always am with anything from Moda. Final words - these are my two go-to fabrics for solids and Moda for all the rest of their fabric lines (Kona is only in solids.)

Sure hope this helps.
Sandy in Mooresville,NC
Old 04-28-2020, 07:32 PM

Of, forgot - Real Kona is priced about the same almost anywhere. I don’t trust what Joann’s calls kona as they rewind into new bolts everything and I want/need to see that it is genuine Kaufman. If it sounds cheap, it probably isn’t genuine.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 AM

Fabric Shack has Rbt Kaufman Kona for $5.99 a yard and they have a huge selection. They are a family-run business and so their site says they are running 10-12 days behind on shipping right now. I love their store in person.
https://www.fabricshack.com
Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 AM

I prefer Moda Bella solids. Kona seemed to bleed more for me.