Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
silly question about fusing >

silly question about fusing

silly question about fusing

Old 05-02-2020, 08:01 AM

Default silly question about fusing

I had just finally cut out a row (row by row experience) that I purchased a kit for a few years ago. I have all the pieces cut and the directions say to baste the pieces to the muslin fabric with your favorite glue or fusible webbing. I would rather do the fusible webbing but I'm not sure , do I need to cover the entire back of each piece or just fuse the edges? Eventually I will be quilting it so I'm really not sure!! Also do you stitch around each cut like its applique? Attached is a photo of the pieces just laying out.

Attached Thumbnails sedona-row-row.jpg  
Old 05-02-2020, 09:40 AM

This is a very pretty piece of your quilt. You are doing a great job. Since it will be placed as part of the top onto muslin You would want to consider covering each piece with the fusible. You may want to consider a purple fabric glue stick if you only want to go around the edges. Just remember with the glue sticks you still have to press, iron, the pieces in the right place on the muslin. I can't wait to see this one finished.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Beautiful piece. Are you doing a blanket stitch around the pieces or straight stitch? You sill need to use some kind of fusible to hold the pieces in place on the muslin. Please share with us when you get it finished.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

If I am doing large appliqués, I “ window” my wonderunder fusible. Windowing is when you just do about 1/4 inch fusible around the outside of the appliqués so the center stays soft and pliable in a quilt. If you are using something like misty fuse, you can use it under the whole appliqué because it stays soft.
If you are going to machine stitch a blanket stitch or similar around your appliqués to attach them to the background, I do recommend you use at least a fusible at the edge. The fusible helps to prevent fraying and adds a little body to the edge making it nicer to stitch on.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:32 AM

I’ve done a couple similar kits. My pieces were laser cut and already had the fusible added. Anyway, after I fused them down, I stitched around every single little piece really close to the edge (using a regular straight stitch). It was sort of a pain because I changed the thread to match the pieces.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:51 PM

What Tartan said.