Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Pattern >

Favorite Pattern

Favorite Pattern

Old 05-30-2020, 04:18 AM

A favorite one for FQ. You just need to add some back ground fabric for the triangles.

https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/fat-q...-quilt-pattern

Yes, I have made a second quilt of a loved pattern. They are different due to fabric choices. It's quite fun to get a do over imagining the what-if of designs.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:46 AM

Boy, I do have some favorite quilts but don't know so much about favorite pattern or block. I've done a lot of quilts using Snowball blocks as alternate blocks. Works well to tie in busy blocks, or to use for a large scale focus print. I've done a number of Log Cabins and variations.

I think my favorites are always what's next or what's in the planning stage. Then by the time it's done, I'm usually happy to give it away and never look at it again. If the give-away isn't immediate and the quilt stays around for a bit, i start appreciating it a bit more. Every now and then I get a project that I just enjoy the whole process, unless those were meant to go to someone some of those donations become keepers.

edit/for the OP -- lately I'm using this Simplish concept a lot when I'm making donation quilts. While the one shown here is rather calm, what I like is it is a way to take a wide collection of related fabrics that maybe don't look so good next to each other and make it usable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K76_K7ZcvI

This cuts down from 10" squares nicely, and that is usually what I use, around Y2K I did a lot of swapping and I have a lot of squares! A couple of years ago I gave away a collection of Angel fabrics because I just couldn't think of any way to put them together. Of course, almost immediately after that I came across this pattern due to one of our fellow board members and I realized that all I ever had to do was use black for the sashing and those angels would transform into a stained glass window...

Whew! Got the edit in time. Here's two I've done, Here Kitty Kitty was from those swapping squares. It was an accident that I ran out of the fur fabric for the sashing and had to add in the black. The other I call "Horse Blanket" and I added the rows of just squares top and bottom.
Attached Thumbnails here-kitty-quilted.jpg   horse-blanket.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-30-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:00 AM

Thank you to everyone for all of your ideas...I loved seeing your quilts.
Thanks again...
Kirsten
Old 05-30-2020, 06:05 AM

My all time favorite is a book called Singular Sensations. One basic block can be turned into 14 different quilts depending on how they are put together. The basic block is quick to make. These are 4 of the ones I have made using the basic block.
Attached Thumbnails singula-sensation-1.jpg   singular-sensation-2.jpg   singular-sensation-3.jpg   singular-sensation-4.jpg  
Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

My favorite go to pattern is Warm Wishes. The quilt pattern changes with the fabric choices.
https://www.quiltingdaily.com/project-linus-quiltmaker/ scroll down to the bottom. It's a free pattern but the site doesn't make it easy to find. I have made crib to king size of the pattern.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 AM

I have made 6 Double Wedding Ring quilts Most of them were queen size but 2 of them were king size. I love this pattern and a a a great way to use scraps. I save most of my smaller scraps just in case there is another one in my future.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...72-614167.html
Old 05-30-2020, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

The only pattern I like to redo is OBW or 4 Patch Posy because you get a totally different look depending on the fabric.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

This site has many patterns suitable for fat quarters. You just need some solid background fabric.

https://www.thepatternbasket.com/shop-1?page=3
Old 05-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Mine is Log Cabin because I can't wreck it no matter how awful my work is. When I teach quilting, I always have my student do the log cabin for that reason. That gives them more confidence because they know I can fix any mistake. Garden Twist is my second favorite.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I seldom make the same quilt twice but I have made quite a few versions of French Braid quilts, I love making Bargello quilts and I’m making my second Jinny Beyer “Lotus” quilt, in a different color way. Even though I use the same ( style) of patterns each turns out very different from the one before. I also love log cabins and pineapples for all the different quilts you can make with them.
im showing you 3 very different French braids I’ve made, a Bargello and a “ Lotus”
Love the white and gray quilt. What is the pattern?