Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scallop border >

Scallop border

Scallop border

Old 06-01-2020, 06:21 PM

Default Scallop border

Hi Quilters! I want to make a scalloped border on this queen size quilt. How wide should I make my border? I do not have a special ruler for the scallops, but I will try to figure the spacing evenly and keep the curve of the scallop, about 3/4 inch from the straight edge. Here is the quilt, a sq in a sq I think it's called by MSQC. I have had the top made a year now and need to finish it. Thanks for any and all advice.
Attached Thumbnails img_9402-qb-web.jpg  
Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 PM

Nice quilt! Look at several YouTubes to see how to do this--I had an instructor in a class for another quilt project show us how she does scallops--can't remember all her math, but basically she makes the corners circular so that she can equalize the scallops to fit on the sides/top/bottom. I've only done one scalloped edge--I used a paper plate as my template and frankly it was too "deep" of scallop--think a gentle scallop is better and looks better too
Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 PM

There are many ways to figure out scallops. I start out with CDs (remember when AOL came on free disks?? those were great), then move up through my various plates and dishes. I also have several large drafting compasses.

In this case, I agree with Quiltingshorttimer that a half circle arc would be too much and too harsh. I think if you based the circle going from the center of one set of squares through the point and to the outer edge of the next set of squares, that might be a nicer arc. I'd probably position the arcs midway through the blocks, to allow for that corner. Corners are a sticking point on curved edges, many ways to deal with them and sometimes it is easier to come up with your corner first and then make the rest of the border work with that.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Pretty top! Since you have even block sizes, I would do the scallops to match the block size. Some tutorials say to sew your bias binding on a drawn scallop edge and trim after.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:06 AM

Two great tutes for scallops and binding them https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...ding-scallops/
and https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/a-tutorial-on-scallops-part-2/
I tho't this was the site I read about taking a strip of newspaper the len gth needed, folding, and cutting scallops to mark the top. I sidn't see that info when I quickly scanned the article just now, but sounds like perfect way to figure it out. I've had this bookmarked for a long time, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:53 AM

I would go with at least a 5 inch border. The scalloped edge will really add to the beauty of this quilt.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:39 AM

Mermaid (and others) about large pieces of newsprint or when you need to fit long lengths, parchment (not waxed) paper from the Dollar store has become one of my go-to essential quilting supplies. It comes in rolls of 1 foot x 25 feet for yes, $1. That 12" size is so helpful. Pick up a roll of blue tape to go with it!

It's thin enough to trace through, you can stitch through it for foundations, or I use it to mark my quilting designs and sew quilt through the paper. It is sturdier than tissue paper yet still easy to tear, and some tissue papers are treated with a thin film of plastic stuff that can make it hard to tear. I have many uses for parchment paper but especially for things like this, lot faster and cheaper to fold up some paper first than doing it with fabric first!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:03 AM

Taught by Grandma thank you for giving me an at least’ size of the border. That’s really what I was needing. I was going to use at least a 6 or 8 inch, but I thought I may need larger because tutorials say you lose some. If I place my curve 3/4 in from edge and then my points where scallops meet go up an inch or so, I lose almost 2 inch there or better. Points or connecting scallops may need to curve up more than an inch. What do you say? My blocks are 12 in.

To all the rest, thank you for helping with all your tips. They all make sense and some I have given thought to, also. I was really concerned how wide to cut my border, to really look good for the quilt size and by the time scallops were cut. I have to have enough fabric for backing and binding it all, so I didn’t want to be too wasteful.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:31 AM

There - on YouTube - Sew Very Easy, Scalloped border. Easy instructions, easy to do. No need to purchase a pattern or a special ruler. I have used her method on several quilts and wall hangings - always turns out!