Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flannel backed vinyl fabric >

Flannel backed vinyl fabric

Flannel backed vinyl fabric

Old 06-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Default Flannel backed vinyl fabric

OK.... as I sit here, I'm thinking about a number of things.... one thing I have to do is some work on my Harley. I had some material (actually automotive vinyl top material from the mid 70's) that I had a tank cover made for a previous Harley. This material is a black vinyl with a flannel or felt type liner/coating on the back side. Been looking on line for similar material and have not really found what I'm looking for. I want the flannel backing for paint protection and non-scratching on the tank. I want the vinyl for a bit of toughness and longevity. Anyone ever work with this type of material? Any suggestions for a source? Found a couple but they sell by whole rolls. I would only need 1 to 2 yards total. Appreciate any suggestions.
Told you I'd have some odd questions!!! Who would thing a motorcycle guy would be on a quilting forum????
Old 06-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Years ago, I helped hubs make a vinyl coated flannel fabric car cover. That cover lasted for years ! We sewed it with an old Singer machine, not heavy duty machine even. Only trouble was it got so heavy, he had to keep fabric lifted while I sewed it. I bought the fabric from Joanne's, with yardage that I needed. You can buy same fabric by the yard in several colors today. Good Luck with your search.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:35 PM

A full service type of fabric retailer that has home décor, marine, and automotive fabrics will have what you're looking for. I'm not from the US so I can't recommend a retailer, but maybe ask an automotive restorer for suppliers? Or a marine upholstery place?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:53 PM

You might look through some of the available selections found here. It sounds like a great project! I have ordered from this company to make boat cushion covers for our boat.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics
Old 06-09-2020, 05:02 PM

Not sure if they would be heavy enough for what you need but you can buy flannel backed table cloths at Walmart. Don't forget....we want to see pictures when you are done.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:39 PM

you might google automotive fabrics and see what they have. I've bought fabric for use in reupholstering car seats and found that regular fabric stores don't usually carry what I was looking for--you might also check with a shop that carries upholstery fabric as some of them carry a sturdier fabrics used in this type of application. good luck!
Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 AM

Seconding what Osewme said about the flannel backed table cloths, also look for them and/or things designed to cover gas grills or patio furniture at places like Big Lots or Home Goods. Even if isn't quite the right shape, I'd think there would be some yardage in something designed to cover a high end outdoor living room chaise lounge.

There is a wide variety of quality among flannel backed table cloths... if you don't care about the cutesy or timeliness factors you can pick up some quality after pretty much every holiday season on sale.

There are things you have to keep in mind for water-protective seams. There are ways to fold/construct them. Things to use to seal them. Other things to do. I'm here in the Seattle area, I can tell you water has many tricks and I've learned some ways to get around them too. Sometimes what you think is decorative piping is really functional and there just to deflect the water way from the seam line.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:58 AM

Try an unpholstery shop.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. While we are on lock down, I was limited as to what I could see/find/view. Now we are opening up and I will try some of y'all suggestions. Did not thing about grill covers...we had one few years ago that had the flannel backing. So more things to look for! As far as weather proofing, no need for that. The only purpose of this cover is to cover the fuel tank when I'm working on the front side of the bike. Just for protection from my fat hands dropping something!! Hoping today I can get out and start doing some checking. JoAnn Fabric is up the street...will see if they are open now.
You ladies (and maybe some guys) are gonna teach this old motorcycle bum some new tricks!!! Thank You!!!!!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 AM

Living in the middle of the auto industry I found a place years ago that did seat covers for cars and they carried it. Now I can't even remember the name of the shop. I picked up a lot of scrap leathers and vinyl with flannel you could by larger pieces too. I would check around for upholstery fabric used on cars. I am sure a good google search should turn something up.