Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Struggling with Singer Stylist 534 >

Struggling with Singer Stylist 534

Struggling with Singer Stylist 534

Old 06-11-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Struggling with Singer Stylist 534

Hello everyone! I am hoping I can get some advice on my 'new' Singer Stylist 534. I recently received it from a family friend, and I don't think it's been touched for ages.

I managed to sew a tester drawstring bag without a problem. However, I went to start another similar bag, and it's all gone wrong. The feeder dogs wouldn't feed fabric through with the presser foot down, though fabric will move through when it is up. The tension has been a nightmare, and is definitely too loose on the bottom thread.

Does anyone have any advice? I have re-threaded both top and bottom, changed needles, cleaned as much as I could access, and done my best to check the manual. I am tearing my hair out. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:08 AM

How do you have the presser foot pressure dial set? Have you taken off the lid and checked the upper tension mechanism for any obstructions or thread problems?
In my limited experience, and based on everything I've read online, bottom tension is rarely a problem. I have used my 534 quite a bit and the bottom thread pulls out very easily and I have never had a problem. When you thread the machine is the presser foot up? Have you tried cleaning the tension discs, at least by running some clean cloth between them?
Attached Thumbnails img_0223.jpg   img_0224.jpg  
Old 06-11-2020, 08:35 AM

If it hasn't been touched in years, it needs a good servicing, unless you've already done that, would be my first answer.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Thank you! No, I haven't done either. I've found a company near by that services machines, so I think that will be my next step. Thank you so much for the help, you gave me a few things to look at that I haven't yet.