Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share ways to hang mini quilts >

Please share ways to hang mini quilts

Please share ways to hang mini quilts

Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Default Please share ways to hang mini quilts

I'm in the process of creating a mini quilt wall in my sewing room. I've used the triangle corners sewn into the binding with a rod across the back, and 3m clothespin looking clips just clipped to the top of the quilt. What are some other ways you use? I'm trying to use a variety of methods so they all don't look the same.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:44 PM

A year or so after my mother passed away, my sister-in-law found some blocks that Mom had made. Instead of just giving them to my brother (her husband), myself, and my sisters, she took each of them, had a friend make a custom frame and gave them to each of us one Christmas. Given that quilting is an art, I've often thought smaller quilts would be nice in a frame. Obviously that's not for everyone, but this hangs proudly in my wife''s sewing room (I took it down because we are in the process of redoing parts of her room).

ETA: Obviously, you would need a thicker area under the glass if the quilt was completed.
Attached Thumbnails mom-block.jpg  

Last edited by Rob The HOAQ; 06-15-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 PM

I use Command strips on the back of the quilt. So quick and easy.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 PM

I have taken the sashing fabric and made 2" wide loops and stitched to the binding with the quilt hanging down and off the bar.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

If they are small, a line strung with the little curtain clips would look cute or the tiny wooden clothes pins.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 AM

I use old machine needles pushed through the top corners and simply hammer them into the wall. They leave a miniscule hole that is nearly invisible and easily patched if needed. If you use the metal and wood dowel hangers, one needle will work.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 AM

Depending on the size, I've purchased painters stretch canvas available at most craft stores and are not expensive. I paint the canvas a coordinating color, apply Velcro dots to the canvase and the back of the mini, adhere mini to the canvas and hang. I've also used the other suggestions mentioned above, all with success.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If they are small, a line strung with the little curtain clips would look cute or the tiny wooden clothes pins.
I had a friend who did this. She also collected some fancy hangers, whether for children's clothing or purely decorative. Fancy or cute or basic clothespins of various sizes are pretty easy to find. Those fancy hangers, a little harder but I see them. Usually metal, maybe a shape bend into the center part of the triangle, sometimes fancy hanging handle.

She would change her displays regularly, doilies, potholders, seasonal mini quilts.

I found a roll of smaller than usual clothespins on a cord that was wound around a wood spool, I'm not sure if they were really meant for baby clothes or to hang cards/decorations for a baby shower but the cords came in pink and blue. My son and DDiL said they didn't need it for the grandbaby, so I happily took the clothes pins and put them in my drawer of useful stuff. Right next to the bag of regular ones!
Old 06-16-2020, 06:53 AM

Thanks everyone for all of these great ideas for hanging small/mini wall quilts. I have started making smaller sizes of quilts since I have the house full of bed size quilts.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:09 AM

I hang some of mine using the old wooden clamping trouser hangers.