Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
FW Medallion Quilt Along BOTW >

FW Medallion Quilt Along BOTW

FW Medallion Quilt Along BOTW

Old 06-17-2020, 03:16 AM

Default FW Medallion Quilt Along BOTW

*PatriceJ has approved the start of this BOTW and reviewed the following.

Would there be interest in starting a Quilt Along/Block of the Week using the new Farmer's Wife Homestead Medallion quilt book by Laurie Aaron Hird? Several of us have done these together in the past and it was so much fun cheering each other on and seeing blocks each week. Plus the friendships we built are still going strong for a few of us.

All levels of experience sewer/quilters are welcome. All advice and support given is appreciated and will be graciously received.

No sign up is required. You must have your own legal copy of the book. Do these blocks at your own pace. There are no quilt police here.

I was thinking it might be fun to start with the 18" center block (#93) then we can hang it in our sewing rooms for inspiration while working on the other blocks. After that we will be doing 2 blocks a week in numerical order, 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 and so on until all the blocks are done.

*Most importantly you need to have the book. The book comes with a link to download patterns for paper-piecing, rotary cutting instructions, and templates for each of the 121 blocks. We must not use this thread or any related threads to share patterns or to help each other avoid acquiring a legal copy of the book.*

Depending on the interest, if we have a larger group it might make it easier to have one thread for discussion and one for pictures each week….that is how it was done in the past. I'll be sure to update in this thread so you know what to look for when we start.

I am thinking a start date of July 6th to give everyone plenty of time to order their book and get fabrics together.

We will be using this thread for all communication until we start in July.

This is the place and time to ask any questions. If I'm not available for for any reason I'm sure there will be someone on the board qualified to answer.

The books are available on www.amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/) (make sure you check if you are ordering a paperback or kindle version) as well as thru Laurie herself…I am waiting to hear back from her on how to get them from her. I know in the past she would even send signed copies.

Last edited by carriem; 06-17-2020 at 03:23 AM. Reason: *added center block as first block
Old 06-17-2020, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Sounds great. I will be following this thread for later. I have the Pony Club quilt to finish before I start this one.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 AM

I am looking forward to starting this, as I did the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, the Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt and the Farmer's Wife 30's Quilt with this group. As Carrie said, we are still together and chatting.

Please be careful when you order this book. I got the Kindle Version by mistake. It is okay because I have an IPad, and all the templates and/or paper piecing patterns are on an online site.

I am so excited in starting another weekly block quilt along. It is a real motivator! The Quilt is amazing!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 PM

I am still finishing my BH "frolic" mystery and putting together my 1930s quilt I did with; these wonderful ladies, but I could not say to attempt doing another quilt with them. One step at a time, I ordered the book. We will go from there, forward. happy Trails.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 AM

**Laurie Aaron Hird said at this time the best place to get this book is on amazon.com. She hasn't received her copies from the publisher yet.**

The books are available on www.amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/) (make sure you check if you are ordering a paperback or kindle version) as well as thru Laurie herself…I am waiting to hear back from her on how to get them from her. I know in the past she would even send signed copies.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2020 at 04:59 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM

I am interested, too. Any suggestions on fabric collections? I have a limited collection and I love the colors in this quilt in the book.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Thimbleberries? Do they still make those?

The time period is 1910? I'm going to search by that year.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 06-18-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Great to see some familiar names and some new ones too! What so you think is July 6th a reasonable start date?

I am going to be using Kansas Troubles fabrics. Bought a FQ bundle last night then some yardage of one of the purples for my borders between the rows.

Our local quilt shop has a room of "civil war" era fabrics. Maybe something like those? When I do a search they look similar to what are used in the book.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:07 PM

Just got the book and will have to decide if I want to work on it now or save for later. Sounds like a fun group here.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:16 PM

Sue--I hope you will decide to join us Even if you can't do the blocks every week, do what you can and post as you finish them.