Sailrite Sewing Machines

Old 07-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Default Sailrite Sewing Machines

I mostly sew with cotton material but have been trying my hand at thicker fabrics and my sewing machine has been groaning a bit and I am afraid I am pushing too hard. I was sort of checking out Sailrite machines and was wondering if anyone got one of the machines. I realize they cannot be brought to a local dealer but what I would like is a heavy duty machine without the servo motor (not that I am an expert on it but it seems like a bigger deal to have). The Sailrite LSZ-1 basic walking machine seems like a heavy duty machine that is a little simpler like my machine.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:50 PM

Gee - I’ve never heard of Sailrite sewing machines so I don’t feel competent on making comments. Having somewhere to take a sewing machine when things go bump in he night is always a good thing. Lots of repair people won’t even work in mechanical machines since there are so many computerized ones in the market. I’m not sure how heavy the fabric is you want to use but my older machines have no trouble with many thicknesses. I would suggest you take a look around before making your purchase % take fabric you want to use when you shop for maybe an older machine to test what it can sew. I’m just suspicious of names thst I’ve never heard of and I’ve heard if most, even the older Singer clones. And as a P.S. I’d never purchase any Simger from the last 50 or so years - they are very plastic inside. Hope maybe this helps a little.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 07-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Just curious so I googled them, they are made in China - but the info says to a higher rating. Retail place is in Indiana. Honestly, that makes me even more suspicious, Again, just my opinion, my older Pfaff 1473 can sew through lots of layers.

sandy in NC
Old 07-10-2020, 06:13 PM

Just curious, have you ever sewed with a true walking foot machine. They are very unique. You might want to watch some Youtube videos about them. I would not buy one without being able to go see one in person. Hubby has a different brand walking foot machine and it has two little feet that go up and down alternately. For the life of me, I cannot figure out where the 1/4" seam should go and it doesn't have any seam guide lines. The Sailrite appears to be much easier to line up.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:22 PM

I have a Sailrite 111 with servo motor & table. I bought mine to do upholstery & leather sewing. They no longer make that model, but it's pretty much the same as the Fabricator model. Their machines are mostly designed for heavy duty industrial sewing. They are powerful basic machines, with no fancy computer boards, buttons or fancy stitches. Stitch options are straight or zigzag if you buy a machine that has zigzag option.Think upholstery, sails, leather, etc. These machines use heavy threads & needles. Some models have feet options you can buy, like cording, zipper, binder, etc.

The model you mentioned weights 49 pounds. Not an easy thing to carry around. If you go to the page with the model you mentioned scroll all the way down & watch the videos. Also go to the "How To" page "Projects & Tips. They offer many free videos, which will show you how these machines work.

They stand behind their machines. If you have a problem call them & they will talk you thru it.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Have you adjusted your presser foot pressure? Heavier pressure may make it easier for thicker fabrics.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:04 PM

I sm new to this sewing world. I have a Singer 4452 which is supposedly a heavy duty machine. I does have a metal frame and it has pretty much done what I've needed it to do. Now I have been looking at a lot of you tube videos on sewing masks, leather, DIY tactical and camping items. Sailrite seems to be a very popular machine with people who sew leather, heavy canvas items, bags, pouches, etc. They are a specialty company who seem to work a lot with sail makers. I think if you were to go to you tube and search for Sailrite, you will find a number of videos about these machines. Again, as being a newbie (and former mechanic, current biker dude who does his own maintenance) I am skeptical of a lot of things and often do a lot of research. I personally, if I could afford and "really" had a use for one, would consider a Sailrite. I believe they are a good machine. But then I'm new here, and would not blame you for not trusting my statements!!
Old 07-12-2020, 06:54 AM

I also own a Sailrite Fabricator. I make lots of bags, purses, wallets and totes. This machine gets it done!! Great price and yes they offer great customer service. It came in 3 or 4 boxes and what a great day that was!! I love this machine. Handles for my purses and totes are no longer an issue. I just smile and smile as this machine goes thru everything. We used a heavy canvas, 1" thick foam to make a padded case to hold our portable large dog crate. I told my husband, that might be too thick as we go across those seams - but it wasn't. It literally went right thru it. The thread is more like string, It's a basic straight stitching machine. Another great investment for my sewing hobby. It is a pleasure to use!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 PM

I ran across them on FB and have followed them for a couple of years. They seem like very down to earth people that stand behind their product. They show what people have made with them (sails, canvas boat covers, upholstery etc) and show how to do things. If I had the need for one I would buy one.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM

Know nothing about the Sailrite, but I have a Consew upholstery machine--basic straight line walking foot. Total beast--will sew through anything. It's old, but built for industry so no computer and lasting. I can get it serviced by my local repair show--but taking it out of the table requires my son to do the heavy listing cause it's heavy!

you might look around for something similar. On another note--I saw workers at the Stover (MO) Quilt Shop using the Consew and similar Singers to quilt edge-2-edge. They had a wood frame (about 10" wide and 12' long) that they attached the section of quilt to and it was attached to pulleys on the ceiling and they sat to the side (motor side of harp) and just moved it back and forth in the pattern desired. It was totally amazing--if you are ever near Stover Mo, check it out(nice quilt shop too).