Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making  a canvas print into actual fabric? >

Making a canvas print into actual fabric?

Making a canvas print into actual fabric?

Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Making a canvas print into actual fabric?

I hope I can explain this right. A friend's daughter painted an abstract picture on canvas & he was wondering if there was anyway that you can take the picture on the canvas & turn it into actual fabric. I don't think I have ever seen this done but was wondering if anyone out there in the quilting forum knows if & how this could be done? He thought it would be cool if she could actually make something out of fabric with this design on it. I hope that makes sense. I'll try & attach a picture but I may have to put it in another post. The first time I didn't have any success. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Fritzy
Old 07-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Try spoonflower fabrics.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:50 AM

Spoonflower.com will allow you to upload any digital photo to manipulate. I have created fabric from artwork, but it is a bit pricey. $17.50/yd+-
Old 07-15-2020, 07:18 AM

Spoonflower is one of the better options. There are other digital design places as well. Depending on how the fabric is going to be used/what the original design was, it may make more sense to design something similar but so that the repeats work better. Fabric design is a skill set of its own.

We can also transfer images and print them at home in various ways -- it depends on your printer what you do and how to treat your fabric. There are fabric transfers sheets you can buy through the mail or at stores -- even office supply stores. One of our members here recommends going to a t-shirt/silk screen shop and has her transfers done there. You can iron on fabric directly to a piece of freezer paper and feed it through most printers, and you can print over existing prints or use solids.

I don't have a color printer and so I would have to go somewhere else. I think I'd like the Spoonflower option best.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:34 PM

I've used Spoonflower with great success.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:20 AM

The first thing that came to mind was spoonflower.com. I see that is also everyone else's idea of doing a transfer for this. Best of luck.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:28 AM

I took a picture of the fabric I created. I scanned a page that I colored from an adult coloring book.
Attached Thumbnails yardage1.jpg   yardage2.jpg  

Last edited by aashley333; 07-16-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-16-2020, 08:50 PM

Default Painting to fabric

Thanks everyone. I'll check out spoon flower & see what they do. I'll let my friend know & then he can decide if he wants to go further with his idea.
Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
I hope I can explain this right. A friend's daughter painted an abstract picture on canvas & he was wondering if there was anyway that you can take the picture on the canvas & turn it into actual fabric. I don't think I have ever seen this done but was wondering if anyone out there in the quilting forum knows if & how this could be done? He thought it would be cool if she could actually make something out of fabric with this design on it. I hope that makes sense. I'll try & attach a picture but I may have to put it in another post. The first time I didn't have any success. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Fritzy