Old 07-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

I’m not a purist. I like using the products
that work best for me. Nothing has
to match in content just quality.

posting from iPhone and the text looks
odd.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:36 AM

I use cotton for the fabric and quilt shop fabric at that. For the thread I have been using 100% cotton...usually Aurfil 50 weight, or Mettler so soft. I like them because both of these have less lint and they are thinner so my piecing is more accurate. I used to use dual duty...but as that thread is thicker and also my more expensive machines actually do not like it as much especially at higher stitching speeds, I use what I have left of that for putting on bindings when I have the color needed in that thread. For quilting, I use poly thread...usually Superiors So Fine 50 weight or Superior's 40 weight OMNI. those threads have very little lint...I have been meaning to try the so fine as a piecing thread but as I have so much of the other thread, I haven't. I used to use King Tut cotton for quilting but I have had some thread breakage in finished quilts with usage over time and have not experienced that yet with the Superior threads. For batting, I have been using mainly Hobbs 80/20 but I get it on a roll and like it that way much better. I also have used Hobb,s polydown and also like that when I want a quilt a little lighter and fluffy. I have been wanting to try more Quilter's dream but still have plenty on my two rolls of Hobbs. I also want to try wool again as I have used wool in a couple of quilt s and really liked it. I think that was also Hobb,s too.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:47 AM

I am anything but a purist! Altho I try not to mix poly cotton and unwashed (unshrunk) cotton. Sometimes that 'absolutely perfect' coordinating fabric is a blend. I have even been known to double up broadcloth for sashing if it seems thin. I use whatever is available for piecing thread. Right now that is a very large cone of serger thread, and my machine doesn't seem to mind at all. Yes, it does seem to fuzz a bit more so I wind two spools at a time and clean every time I need to rewind. I prefer poly batting, especially for kids' quilts. But I also have 80/20 and pure wool. Just depends who the recipient is going to be.

Most of my tops go to our guild's community outreach program and they are phenomenal. We supply quilts for The Abused families shelter, the teenage Choices shelter, the hospice, the dialysis unit at the local hospital, Fire and Police services, plus many many quilts to people or families in need. I don't think any of the recipients are going to complain because the quilt they received was not 'purely cotton'.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Administrator

when i first started making quilts i didn't understand and the fuss and bother over which.
then i became a purist - although i have never drifted into the LQS only strata.

now i have gotten it through my thick skull that it doesn't matter as long as the quilt maker is happy with what she/he is using and the way things look when they are done.

for myself i use cotton fabrics most of the time.
i prefer the way it feels and behaves while i'm working with it.
i have occasionally run across poly/cotton blends that are so much like pure cotton i don't mind using them.

i only use cotton thread for piecing.
i will use whatever is going to look best to me for the quilting.

there's one brand of thread i will never again use for anything.
but a lot of people use it for quilts so i'm not going to ruffle feathers by mentioning it by name.

the same goes for batting.
there's a brand many of my friends are in love with. i hate it. go figure. lol
i have experimented with different brands and blends.
i always come back to warm & natural or warm & white.
if that would be too heavy then i buy 100% poly batting.
have never yet met a cotton/poly blend batting i liked.

if it's pretty; if it feels good and you know you'll enjoy working with it; and if it fits into your budget then it's right.

Last edited by patricej; 07-17-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:58 PM

Mostly cotton fabric, but I sew with the big cones of poly serger thread. Poly batting almost always because I like the loft and because JoAnn has the rolls of 48 inch batting that are perfect for my lap quilts. No need to cut down a large batt! Quilting I use whatever thread works for what I want to do. I'm fond of YLI variegated thread but have some Superior, King Tut, and Aurifil. I almost never use a thread that blends in with the quilt fabric. I can't see it! I did that on my last quilt and messed up royally becaus I couldn't see where I'd been. Had to rip it out and do SITD to define the area, then flipped it over and quilted from the back.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:00 PM

I don’t think of myself as a “purist”. I do use cotton fabric, because of its feel and easy handling. I don’t starch my fabric either. The batting I use is a cotton/silk blend or 100% cotton. I use Aurifil thread for my piecing and I like YLI , King Tut (variegated) threads for my quilting (hand and machine).
Old 07-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I mostly use cotton fabric for my quilts- that does include flannel, corduroy, cotton sateen, denim, velvet...- there’s quite an assortment of cottons to use. I also do Wool hand appliqué though and generally do that on cotton flannel or regular cotton backgrounds.
as far as thread goes I use a wide assortment of threads- cotton, polyester, silk, Blends, whatever works for the project I’m working on.
same with batting. I Love Dream Wool and Hobbs wool, the bamboo is nice, I recently used a silk batting that was very nice to work with- I used Dream Green in a couple kids beach/ picnic quilts almost 20 years ago- they are still holding up well. I love Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, Dream orient is nice ( I think I’ve tried most of the Dream Battings and they have all been wonderful.
every quilt project is it’s own and I pick & choose what I think is best for that project. I feel there are so many great products available it’s a shame to limit yourself to using only one all the time. I love trying new batting, fabrics and new threads depending on what I’m making
Old 07-17-2020, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I am not a purist by anyone standards.

When you find what works for you, just use it.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:22 PM

I generally use 100% cotton for the tops of quilts just because I like how it feels.
Most of my thread comes from Connecting Threads but I have a lot of different brands that I use...some cotton, some polyester, etc.
Right now I like the Fairfield batting called Toasty Cotton (medium). I like how it feels in a quilt.
I just use what I have to get the job done.
So, I say I am not a purist.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't call myself a purist but for fabric I only use cotton and mostly Moda. I just love that brand! I just found another one though, Art Gallery. The fabric is like silk. I just made my granddaughter another quilt with all AG fabrics.

I use cotton thread mostly but watched a video with Leah Day and bought some poly that she recommended. I like it a lot. I use Superior, Aurifil and some that I bought from Craftsy.

I've experimented a lot with batting. My latest is wool but I use cotton and poly or blends as well.

I'm a real sucker for pre-cuts. I have more of them than yardage ( I think lol)