Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Jcpenny 1960 Penncrest stuck in zigzag >

Jcpenny 1960 Penncrest stuck in zigzag

Jcpenny 1960 Penncrest stuck in zigzag

Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 AM

Default Jcpenny 1960 Penncrest stuck in zigzag

Just received a 1960 Penncrest sewing machine , everything seems to work fine but stuck in zigzag mode. We have the manual and followed steps but still in zigzag, Please help!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 06:19 AM

Is the ZZ knob/dial moving, but the needle isn't? Or is the knob/dial stuck? Have you opened up the top? There may be a spring broken/disconnected which moves the needle back to center (or L or R) when not in ZZ. If the knob/dial doesn't move then I would start oiling everything that even looks as though it moves up top, including in the nose end where the needlebar moves left and right, and then wait and try again.

I am not familiar with this machine, just taking some guesses based on other machines.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Is the ZZ knob/dial moving, but the needle isn't? Or is the knob/dial stuck? Have you opened up the top? There may be a spring broken/disconnected which moves the needle back to center (or L or R) when not in ZZ. If the knob/dial doesn't move then I would start oiling everything that even looks as though it moves up top, including in the nose end where the needlebar moves left and right, and then wait and try again.

I am not familiar with this machine, just taking some guesses based on other machines.

the knob moves though it does get stuck, when moving from left to right.. its like its not setting on straight, the needle only moves in zigzag, I reset knobs to straight as per manual, did oil parts but around needle. Will try that just incase..
Old 07-22-2020, 07:43 AM

If you don't get it working, posting pictures of the front of the machine and the inside from the top, with the lid off, would be helpful towards seeing how it works.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 AM

Some machines (including my vintage Remington) are very fussy on whether the foot is up or down in order to change settings. Try changing both ways, foot up/down.

There is a little hollow in the (mind lapse on proper name) major bar that does the up/down action. I can twirl my dials all I want, but unless the bar is down and the other part slides in there, it doesn't actually change any thing.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:55 PM

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

Additionally, when I have tried to "insert" pictures, it will take a while even if it is just one picture, after clicking on the paperclip icon. (This is after you have hit the "Upload" button and closed that window.) You will see the "busy" icon at the top of the page or tab spinning for a while before it list the pictures that it will attach.

I'm thinking that either the dial, lever or whatever moves to go from straight to zig zag stitches isn't connected or not adjusted correctly. If it wouldn't zig zag and only straight stitch, the same thing could be true, but then it could also be a stuck needle bar. How wide is the zig zag stitch? It seems like on some machines, one has to "lock" the straight stitch. Sometimes, I have to read the manual more than a few times, LOL, to make it "click" as to what one is supposed to do to make other stitches.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:26 AM

Success!!.. after oiling all the areas and running the machine several times in 2 days it seems to have “ungucked” itself and went into straight stitch!!! I guess since it hadnt been used in a few years the oil had maybe seized up and just needed warming up to Properly work. Thank you everyone for all your helpful advice. Let the sewing begin!!!
Old 07-23-2020, 06:45 AM

Love it when it works out. Welcome aboard.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:46 AM

I just got a RED Penncrest 2100 sewing machine at an online auction, $45. Was so happy when i tilted the machine in its case the manual was underneath it. WOOHOO Bought it just cause I love the red. Don't know if I've seen any other JC Penny machines.