Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reinforcing Edges Before Replacing Binding on a 60s-ish quilt? >

Reinforcing Edges Before Replacing Binding on a 60s-ish quilt?

Reinforcing Edges Before Replacing Binding on a 60s-ish quilt?

Old 08-16-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Reinforcing Edges Before Replacing Binding on a 60s-ish quilt?

Hi- I am trying to help a friend reinforce a quilt so that she can put it back on a bed without damaging it. My friend inherited the quilt from her mother who, in turn, was given the quilt by a sewing collective in gratitude for NFP bookkeeping services over many years.

This quilt was originally bound by folding under a 1/4 inch of fabric on both the front and back and then hand-stitched together. Both the top border and the backing are the same fabric--a strong (for a 60-70 year-old fabric) blue and white striped denim type fabric that is lighter than jeans weight. Some of this 'self-edging' has unraveled or frayed. I have picked out the the stitching to separate the edges and intend to refinish them with a double-layer binding from 2.5 inch strips.

The quilt is otherwise in reasonably good shape and beautifully hand quilted, including a lovely 4.5" border. Unfortunately, this hand quilting on the border extends very close (within one inch for the most part) to the current finished edges of the quilt, so I am hesitant to trim the quilt edges so as to cut off the weakened fabric at the edges. It's possible but carries the risk of sewing too close to the quilting stitches in the border and/or looking funny when done. This might get me back to stronger fabric in most areas and be the least invasive.

I have considered possibly reinforcing the the edges by applying a 1" strip of fusible interfacing on the fabric edges of the quilt top and back. Do you think that would make the newly bound edges too stiff? If this is a good idea, could anyone suggest a product to use? How about the fusible that allows you to piece batting pieces together?

Another thought is to cut 3 inch binding strips and take a deeper (.5"?) seam when sewing the binding to the front side of the quilt before wrapping it around to the back and hand stitching.

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA
Old 08-16-2020, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of the quilt?

We could make better suggestions if we could see what you are working with.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:38 AM

Good for you for helping save this quilt! I would cut my DOUBLE FOLD binding on the bias (lasts longer) 2" or no more than 2.25". I would not reinforce it. The narrower binding will be all you'll need. Attach to the front of the quilt and fold to the back and hand stitch. After I attach by machine, I then press the binding up away from the quilt. Then when you fold it to the back it goes smoothly and helps with the hand sewing.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 AM

With quilting an inch away and that we usually use 1/4" seams, you still have quite a bit to work with.

Some times when we sew on vintage fabrics, especially those that have been used, our stitches themselves can cause issues to raveling/deteriorating fabric. Hope this makes sense without a picture -- I wouldn't necessarily trim down to really good fabric, but maybe I'd have 1/4" of looser woven/raveling fabric above my binding, stitching in 1/2" from the edge. If the fabric can take it, maybe use a zig zag or a fancy ending stitch, either in a one time around or sew your normal seam and then go back around again with the zig zag. When you close the binding, just fold in the bit of extra you have there.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:35 AM

I vote for the 3" binding w/half inch seam. I think I would lengthen the stitch just a bit...id be concerned that tiny stitches would pull to the quilt edge if the fabric is weak. Of course, you could do two stitchings around, but one might be enough with the half inch seam. That's just what I would do
Old 08-18-2020, 06:00 AM

I would do the double fold binding but may use a 3" strip instead of the 2 1/2" strip. This would give you a bit more space to work in and also give you the strength you want.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I would do the double fold binding but may use a 3" strip instead of the 2 1/2" strip. This would give you a bit more space to work in and also give you the strength you want.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant for the 3'' strip..it would give you more of a seam 'bite'. And I always double my 2.25 strip, serge the edges together before applying- use a 3/8'' seam--it goes on easily.. My quilt, my way.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I think the 3" binding strip with 1/2" seam is the only way to go.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

bearisgray, I have never mastered appending photos but will give it a try or wait until the weekend when my son will be around. Thank you
Old 09-05-2020, 08:02 PM

Default Pictures of Older Quilt with Frayed Edges

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Hi--I finally have pictures to show you. Sorry it has taken so long. Not sure I know how to upload them, but at least I have them. ;->) Here goes:
Attached Thumbnails afm-1.jpg   afm-3.jpg