Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Victorian Crazy Quilt Embroidery >

Victorian Crazy Quilt Embroidery

Victorian Crazy Quilt Embroidery

Old 08-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Default Victorian Crazy Quilt Embroidery

I have cut out the pieces for a Victorian Crazy Quilt Christmas Stocking. I am going to sew the pieces together then add the embroidery. My question is: Do I use a hoop? I have not done any embroider since I was a teenager and this will encompass a variety of fancy stitches. Part of my dilemma is that I have several pieces of velvet in the mix. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:39 PM

I made a number of fancy Christmas Stockings a number of years, including embellished crazy quilt of various kinds. When I was featuring a piece of embroidery, I did do that hooped before it was assembled into the stocking. I found that with a foundation I could do the handwork without a hoop, but most of mine wasn't all that fancy but I do like incorporating beads into my stitching.

I do recommend making the stocking shape a bit oversized. Especially if you are going to hoop it you might want to make a large rectangle to work with, you can use ugly scrap left overs to fill in the parts that will be cut off. Or you can make larger pieces that when you trim them off you combine with other pieces to make the next stocking.

I recently did some tests with my fancy machine stitches, they didn't work out for the project I was testing them for, but I do have an idea to use narrow beige/cream narrow strips and strings and then machine stitch.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the response Iceblossom. Double thank you as you are the only one that did comment.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:36 PM

I agree to use a hoop. You will need to place the stocking on a background fabric first. The hoop will cause hoop burn on the velvet.

This is one of my go to sites for help with projects.

https://blog.sulky.com/embroidered-v...oject-to-make/
Old 08-20-2020, 05:27 PM

Thanks Rhonda, I am checking out her site right now.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:20 AM

I have only made a single crazy quilt which hangs in my living room and I did use a hoop. I felt safer with the hoop to do my stitching and there was a lot of it and so many different stitches. Of course this is your choice. I would try with and without and see how it feels to you.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:35 AM

I used to use a hoop all the time....I mostly did cross stitching however and that fabric tends to be stiffer although I have done some on linen. Over the years, I started doing most of it without a hoop as it was easier to handle for me....but you really have to be more careful then to maintain equal amounts of tension on your thread as you stitch so you do not get puckering of the fabric or looping of the stiches.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:06 AM

Depending on the size - what about a scroll style instead of a hoop? I used the scroll for needle point too.

Also, when I was learning to quilt I was told to use stretcher bars. (this was back in the late 70's) What you do is have a frame, my friend made it out of molding put together like a picture frame, that has fabric stapled to it on the inside, and you just baste your piece onto the fabric and it will be held in place. Hope that make sense.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be slow, a couple of deadlines got in the way. What a nuisance when life interferes with quilting.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
What a nuisance when life interferes with quilting.
TRUTH!

(praise hands waving in the air)