Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions, please >

Opinions, please

Opinions, please

Old 08-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Opinions, please

I have just finished a wall hanging [53 x 53] and it is going to need a lot of stitching in the ditch. Should I do the whole quilt with the ditch quilting and then go back to do the design work , or should I do all of the centre - stitch in the ditch as well as design - before moving on to the next section? I have spray basted the quilt, if that makes any difference. All opinions [and reasons] would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:03 AM

I SID first, then go back for details. I'm self-taught, so this worked for me. BTW, I just started with decorative stitching after SID.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Many people do all of their stitch in the ditch first to stabilize the whole quilt before doing any design work
Old 08-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Is the backing pieced?

I would want to keep the seam straight on the backing so would start around the seam line. Spray basting will help keep the sandwich together. You will still need to keep smoothing the layers from wrinkles.

So, I would start in the mid center. Baste out a square area to work on. This will help keep the layers together. SITD and quilt as desired, remove the basting box, then proceed to the next section.

Another easier option is to divide in four quadrants and work on each section.

On a resent project, I basted a gold thread down the center of the backing to keep the design straight. Easy to remove when finished. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:15 PM

Most people seem to do all the SitD first, but I find that sometimes if I do this, I end up with puckers because the fabric gets pressed to the outside as I do my FMQ in the "box" I created with my SitD. Therefore, I start in the centre and just do what is needed for what I'm working on. That way I feel the top can expand outwards as I FMQ my design without running up against barriers made by ditches.
I spray baste and never have a problem with shifting.
Watson
Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Thank you, all, for your help. Because the quilt is paper pieced - so a lot of seams - and mostly circles, I think I will do one section entirely and then move on to another. I'm afraid I will get movement when I do the fillers and don't want to be too contained by everything being stitched in the ditch. Please wish me luck!
Old 08-23-2020, 01:48 PM

I would do the SITD first and then do design work. You may decide the SITD is enough for your quilt without extensive design work. The design work sound so interesting Will you be doing ruler work? I can't wait to see what you decide and the finished quilt.