Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 148.120xx service manual? >

Kenmore 148.120xx service manual?

Kenmore 148.120xx service manual?

Old 08-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Question Kenmore 148.120xx service manual?

Hi folks!
I accidentally acquired a Kenmore 148.12011 when I bought a sewing machine cabinet recently. The machine for which I wanted the cabinet doesn't actually fit, so I'm going to leave the Kenmore where it is and get it running.
I've cleaned and oiled everything and it looks as if it'll be an excellent straight-stitch machine.
Problem? The thread tension assembly exploded on me when the chrome nut popped off. I have looked at what seems like an endless number of websites and Youtube videos. None of them show me this specific tension assembly, but I'm swift enough to think I've got it back together correctly, right up to the point when I reinstall it in the machine. The return spring is springy enough before installation. After installation, the return spring stops springing and will actually move when I turn the adjustment knob.
I may have a line on a non-working machine to use as a parts donor, but I feel as if I should be able to get this tension issue resolved without resorting to cannibalizing another machine.
Does anyone have the service manual showing the exploded upper tension assembly? Or can someone help me understand what's up with this spring issue?
Old 08-28-2020, 10:40 AM

There's some information in this post about tracking down the other model number sometimes used by Kenmore

Help Identifying Old Kenmore Machine

which may help you search for a service manual, or you can try a users manual in the off chance it has an exploded diagram of the tensioner.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Sometimes, the parts chart will show a blow-out of the assembly of parts. Janey is really good at finding parts lists. I think she finds them at the sears parts site.
Sorry I'm not more help.
bkay
Old 08-28-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
There's some information in this post about tracking down the other model number sometimes used by Kenmore
Thanks for the reply. Knowing the model number isn't the problem - it's a 148.12011, or a 1201; I'm thinking any parts diagram for 148.12010 through 148.12071 will be useful, hence my ask for a 148.120xx parts list.
The only (freely available) diagrams I've found thus far show the return spring as a separate item from the tension assembly. I'm beginning to think the expectation was the lucky housewife would buy a whole new tension assembly rather than try to repair what she had.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Any help is appreciated. searspartsdirect diagrams don't show an exploded view of the tensioner. I've looked at numerous tension assembly cleaning/tear down/reassembly resources so I'm relatively certain I have everything back in the correct order. Or not - since that pesky return spring stops springing when I put the tension assembly back in the machine.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 AM

If you don't get an answer, try https://groups.io/g/VintageKenmoresSew/topics. You have to join groups.io and then join the group, but they are usually helpful and knowledgeable. Many of the old Yahoo groups have migrated to groups.io.

There is no charge, but it might take a day or two to get approved by the group. It's just a formality to keep spammers off the site.
bkay
Old 08-29-2020, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
If you don't get an answer, try https://groups.io/g/VintageKenmoresSew/topics.
Thanks for the tip!