Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
IKEA Sewing Supplies & Fabrics >

IKEA Sewing Supplies & Fabrics

IKEA Sewing Supplies & Fabrics

Old 09-03-2020, 05:45 AM

Default IKEA Sewing Supplies & Fabrics

I was just browsing through the IDEA site and found out that they have a Sewing Supplies section. Who knew? They have some pinking shears for only $9.99. They may, or may not be the greatest quality, but hey...they're pinking shears. How often would I use them? Still, I want these for those times that I would use them.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sy-pink...ears-40174545/

They also have some interesting fabrics, prints starting at $5.99/yd/59"wide, solids starting at only $2.99/yd/50"wide. I can't tell what the weights are of the fabrics. I would be willing to buy a yard to find out.

~ C
Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 AM

I got a couple of pinking blades for my rotary cutter, I do have an old pinking shears but they are at that point where they just grind the fabric not cut it, so if I need to pink some thing I just pop in my blade and off I go. LOL
Old 09-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Hmm. It says 100% cotton. I wonder if it's home dec weight since it's 59" wide. One that I liked says it's in stock at my nearest store (about 30 miles away). I may have to check it out next time I'm up there.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 AM
mac

Just looked at the sight and you are right -- who knew...

I found the kitchen towels interesting for adding to them and making them gifts. Their 59" cotton fabric is unusual. I wonder what the feel of it is like.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
Hmm. It says 100% cotton. I wonder if it's home dec weight since it's 59" wide. One that I liked says it's in stock at my nearest store (about 30 miles away). I may have to check it out next time I'm up there.
Oh...please do and report back. Our nearest IKEA is a 3 hour drive, so I don't get there often. Thanks.

~ C
Old 09-03-2020, 10:59 AM

They do have a range of fabrics, from lighter weight linen up to heavy canvas. All of what I've purchased has been med weight/canvas material (that seems to be the majority of what they offer). I would use it on the back of a quilt with no hesitation. I've even paired some with denim on a quilt top.

I can only speak to the med wt/canvas material - it washes well with minimal shrinkage or wrinkling. The colors stay bright and the fabric gets softer the more it is laundered.

I haven't bought any of the solid fabrics - I'll have to try some next time I'm at Ikea and post about it if someone doesn't beat me to it in the comments. Unfortunately, they only sell the fabric in-store. Though you can usually find some (higher priced of course) on ebay or etsy.

I think the odd size of 59" is because they are starting with centimeters (150 cm = 59"). If they made it 60" they would be selling the rest of the world 152.4 cm - odd indeed. : )
Old 09-03-2020, 04:16 PM

I have purchased a couple of 100% cotton slightly used duvet covers I found at my local Goodwill. I bought because I liked the print, and you get double the amount in a duvet.