Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name of Product to restore vintage quilt >

Name of Product to restore vintage quilt

Name of Product to restore vintage quilt

Old 09-08-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Name of Product to restore vintage quilt

I've seen the name of a product used to remove brown age stains from vintage fabric but I can't remember the name. I think it was Restore or Resolve or something similar. I need to try and remove some stains from some vintage fabric. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Old 09-08-2020, 06:59 AM

I have bought and tried Orvus quilt soap from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Works pretty good. Here is their description:
Founded by Proctor & Gamble Company in 1932, Orvus' secret formula has not changed in 85 years. Oruvs has been trusted by the world's most prestigious museum curators to clean and preserve prized quilts, historical fabrics and tapestries. Orvus is 100% phosphate free, dye free, PH neutral, biodegradable and fragrance free. 1 oz sachet package is ideal for a singe standard sized machine wash load or for washing a bed sized quilt. Recommended by the American Quilter's Society for cleaning quilts!

Great for delicate fabrics, quilting cotton, fine linens, wool, fleece, needlework, heirlooms, crochet and everyday fabrics.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 AM
mkc

Here's some previous QB discussion that comes up if you do a Google search for cleaning brown stains old quilts

Stains on vintage quilts

Removing stains from Antique Quilts
Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 AM

There is a product called Retro Clean. Never tried it, but think it's a great idea.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Thanks for your replies. I ordered the Retro Clean. I would have ordered the Restoration but none of the places I checked could ship until after I needed it.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:22 PM

I've used Retro Clean for years, on all colors of fabric and all kinds of stains (even bleeding colors). Works great. I get mine from Amazon but they are probably not the only source.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Suz

Restoration. Understand it is available from Amazon. I haven’t used but saw the results.

It was added to water in the bathtub, soaked the quilt, sloshed about, changed waster and repeated. The water was dark brown and stinky. The results were astounding.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I love Retroclean! I bought it some years ago for some vintage quilts and linens and have been buying it ever since.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:15 AM

I used to do long soaks in tub using all-fabric bleach which was sodium perborate. Worked great. Could not find any last time I went looking for it in the stores. It used to be a common laundry product.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:42 AM

I use Retroclean and it works great! I use it in small bag he's in a covered plastic dish, then I leave it outside in the sun for a few days and stains are gone, btw, I live in southern Arizona, where the sun is strong!!!