Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cotton which reds and greens for Xmas? >

Kona cotton which reds and greens for Xmas?

Kona cotton which reds and greens for Xmas?

Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 AM

Question Kona cotton which reds and greens for Xmas?

Kona cotton which reds and which greens do you use or like the most for Xmas quilting ?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 AM

I personally am a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas. I prefer the typical forest and kelly greens, true reds, some gold and silver. There are a lot of manufacturers that have moved to what I consider odd colors for Christmas; corals, turquoises, acid greens, olive greens, etc. To each their own. 😉
If you're looking for the color numbers for Kona, sorry, I don't have any idea. I actually prefer prints over solids, they seem to add more depth and interest (in my mind, anyway).
Old 09-10-2020, 04:24 PM

I don't know the Kona names/numbers, but do like a dark green with a cardinal red.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:22 AM

Asking same question for this year. Which reds and greens of the Kona cottons do you have in your stash or will you be buying for the 2021 Christmas sewing, quilting, ornaments, crafts?
Old 10-25-2021, 06:32 AM

I have a Kona swatch sample piece that I bought at a quilt show. Red, Poppy and lipstick are the truest reds. They don't vary much. If you want a little bit darker red, cardinal is slightly darker. Of the greens, holly, jungle, clover and fern are the clearest "kelly" greens with Leprechaun being a tiny bit darker.
bkay
Old 10-25-2021, 07:44 AM

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas colors and much prefer the classic, darker, richer reds and greens. I don't like the newer Christmas colors, particularly the greens. I just took a look at a couple web sites to get an idea of colors. I like Rich Red and Chinese Red by Robert Kaufman. But I couldn't find any green that really says Christmas to me. But that's just me, everyone's tastes are different.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:50 AM

I too am a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas. I love a kelly green with a cardinal red over anything out there. I don't have the numbers for Kona Cottons either but that is as close as I can get.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I rarely use solids but I should because I have quite a few of them!!
Right now I'm working on a Christmas quilt that has aqua in it and I love it!!!
But I mostly use traditional reds and greens. I don't like gold or silver that comes in many prints or metallics.
Luckily there is something for everyone.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-31-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:00 AM

I also like the traditional Christmas colors. The new colors are nice but like so many of the decorating trends, they will change in a few years and I don't like change so much. (I know - old fashioned but that's me.)