Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down long arm machine. Which one? >

Sit down long arm machine. Which one?

Sit down long arm machine. Which one?

Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 AM

Thank you everyone. this was very helpful. I’m lucky my dealer is sewing machines plus. They do have all those machines and provide service at their San Marcos (San Diego store) They will let me try out all the machines.

The one I tried at the show was a George. I really did like that one. It seemed a cut above the sweet 16. I liked that it faced the way a regular sewing machine does but the bobbin was small. I’m confident enough to do repairs at home if I have guidance.

I actually worked with handiquilter to find what could be causing the intermittent problem and brought the possible solutions into Mario to try out, since I didn’t have the parts or detailed directions. I’ll find out this week if the first solution worked.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
MJP, what is wrong with your Sweet 16?
I will turn it on, the screen comes on. But 70% of the time the machine won’t go. I did the diagnostics and don’t come up with a problem. Handiquilter gave me three solutions that sewing machine plus will try . I do like the idea a machine I could fix myself. My husband and I are both engineers. It’s not rocket science but you do need access to instructions.

kenestrickd (Handi Quilter)

Sep 11, 2020, 8:31 MST
I would take it back to Mario and have him run a "Burn-in" cycle to see if that corrects the problem. If not it could the Main Shaft encoder going bad, or the motor driver board. It could be either, but I would start with the Burn-in, then main shaft encoder.

Dawn
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 AM

Well, if you decide to throw it out, LMK. I'll take it.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Thank you everyone. this was very helpful. I’m lucky my dealer is sewing machines plus. They do have all those machines and provide service at their San Marcos (San Diego store) They will let me try out all the machines.

The one I tried at the show was a George. I really did like that one. It seemed a cut above the sweet 16. I liked that it faced the way a regular sewing machine does but the bobbin was small. I’m confident enough to do repairs at home if I have guidance.

I actually worked with handiquilter to find what could be causing the intermittent problem and brought the possible solutions into Mario to try out, since I didn’t have the parts or detailed directions. I’ll find out this week if the first solution worked.
I think you may be able to request the "M" size bobbin with the George. I had a choice between the "L" or "M" sized bobbins for my Lucy....
Old 09-13-2020, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Lucky you for so many options locally!

While you mentioned this one was used ... how used?

Maybe it has just seen too many mile/stitches?? ... and perhaps your HQ contact has a directed you and Mario to resolution. With that in mind, it may be as good as new, once tended too. Of course, too, you may have spotted other models that have more bells and whistles, and want to trade up. Keep in mind that S16 has updated their machines, and if you have one of the original ones, there are other ones since. I think they are on the 3rd generation now?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 AM

I have the sit-down George and I love it..got it used and paid $2800, a great bargain...had to learn how to use it, but I'm getting better with each quilt I do..fantastic service...Now I'm wanting to do ruler work, so the foot for that is a little expensive but intend to buy pretty soon..I did splurge and buy the best bobbin winder...so been very happy with that...Good luck in finding just what you want...your happiness is the most important.. I just wish I had room for a longarm..I did longarm quilting for a friend of mine in her fabric shop..all her customers quilts...she closed her shop and sold her longarm to a friend, I had first choice but didn't have room for it..Gook luck with your search..
Old 09-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I have had my Juki Miyabi J-350QVP S Sit Down since January. I LOVE this machine.

It has the Smart Stitch Regulator built right into the machine, on either side of the needle where you're actually sewing. Some of the other sit down longarms, use a puck like attachment that you have to keep relocating on your quilt.

Juki's stitch functions include: precise, cruise, manual, and baste.

It's throat space is 18" long and 10" high providing plenty of room for larger projects.

You can set the needle to stop up or stop down when you stop moving the quilt.

It has a direct drive Servo motor, which is the same type of motor used in commercial machines. The ONLY thing I EVER have to oil is the hook, and the machine allows me to do that from the bobbin area or from a tiny opening on top of the footplate so I don't have to bend over or reach under the table.

It also has a second handwheel on the side of the machine so I don't have to stand up and reach all the way to the back if I want to move the handwheel.

I can use the automatic thread cutter/lock or manually cut the thread by pressing on the eye level screen or by using the foot pedal.

It uses standard longarm needles and the large Class M bobbins that hold a LOT of thread. It also has a built-in bobbin winder.

The basic table is about 35" wide, but I got the fold down side extensions that bring it up to 50". The table has a very heavy duty frame that doesn't wobble.

If I ever decided to switch the machine to a longarm frame, I could add Juki's automated quilting software.

The machine is manufactured in Japan, NOT China.

Last but not least, my Juki dealer provides AWESOME service, not only for this Juki, but also for repairs on my vintage domestic machines.

Everything about this machine is top of the line. I just LOVE it! (As if you couldn't already tell from this post!)
I would love to have this Juki if only I had room for it. I have a 9-1/2" throat Juki TL98QE and I love it. It is 11 years. I do have more places to oil, never had to have service on it. I keep it clean.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM

It has not been used a lot at all. Certainly if they are able to fix the machine at a cost of less than $1500 I'll keep it. I should find out this week. IF I decide it isn't worth fixing Tropic you can have it. Can't sell an unfixable machine.

Otherwise I'm thinking the George or newer Juki will be the way to go. I actually picked up a brochure for the MIYABI Juki J-350qvp from sewing machines plus so I could try it out there.

I have the Brother equivalent 1500 to the TL98Q it is a great machine also. It's going to my son when he has a more permanent home.

Thank you all for all the help! Your comments have been so valuable.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 09-13-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Juki Quilt Virtuoso Pro 2200S at the Paducah quilt show 3 years ago, and have loved using it. I actually like that it has no speed control, as I have learned to control speed to movement myself. It's been great with no problems. I paid $5000 after the show and took it home. They threw in a free saddle stool chair, a leaf on the table (and I paid $100 for the other one), the teflon sliding tabletop cover, and some rulers. Plus the financing was 0% over 5 years!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Thanks SewBiz. I don't have a stitch regulator on the sweet 16. It was too clunky. When I FMQ on my domestic Janome 6600 I keep the feeds dog partially up and that acts a little bit like a stitch regulator. I'd be ok going without one.

I put the replies in a word doc and printed them out. They'll go in the folder with the brochures. Thanks again folks. It's a big purchase for me so I want to get the right thing.