Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas/Advice for quilting this top >

Ideas/Advice for quilting this top

Ideas/Advice for quilting this top

Old 09-13-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Ideas/Advice for quilting this top

I've finally finished my "12 Days of Christmas" top (it only took 18 years and a pandemic). I know that I want to do FMQ holly leaf outlines in the sashing, and a wide ruler-template rope design in the outer border. But what about the blocks?

I think I'd like to do a simple diagonal cross-hatching. But I don't know whether to leave a gap (1/2", 1/4", ?) around the motifs, or stitch right up to them. And what about those, like the Two Turtle Doves or Five Golden Rings, that have a fair amount of internal white space? I do not want to quilt on the motifs themselves.

Ideas/suggestions/cautions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails f3a0965b-7843-4eed-b993-fae4e75198ec.jpeg  
Old 09-13-2020, 05:07 PM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I think all of the ideas you have will be perfect for quilting it. Why don't you do your cross hatching and then see if it needs anything more. I go both ways about the gap. If you echo quilt about 1/4" away it would make a good stop for the cross hatching. Good Luck!
Jean in Colorado
Old 09-13-2020, 05:34 PM

Very pretty quilt.....if you go to mctavishquilting and look at her gallery, there is another christmas quilt that may also give you some ideas. Looks like she stitched in the ditch around the motifs and then echoed about a 1/4 of an inch and did the background fill.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:46 PM
Gay

Lovely quilt. I also was thinking Mctavishing in all the blocks.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 AM

Congratulations on a beautiful finish. I just recently saw a YouTube video on quilting around applique. I’ll see if I can trace my steps to find it.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:19 AM

I have no idea of what quilting design for you to use. Just wanted to let you know you made a beautiful quilt. I am sure you will get some wonderful quilting ideas from this board.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 AM

I have an applique quilt that I am trying to decide how to quilt too, so I am interested in the feedback you are receiving. Just wanted to say that your quilt is beautiful and timeless. I would not have guessed it is already 18 years old!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the ideas; I found a couple different videos about quilting around appliqué and think I will use the idea of clear monofilament around the appliqué pieces.

Though I did want to do crosshatching, I think the McTavishing would be better because "oopses' will not show the way they might with a grid! But since this quilt is very special to me, I think I'll do a couple of McTavished table runners first to practice.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty. I have no ideas as I usually do just all over FMQ.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Lovely top! I would outline quilt the motifs in the blocks and then do a background fill. Crosshatching in the backgrounds would work but I would do a smaller crosshatching.