Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Etouffee...Favorite Recipe? >

Etouffee...Favorite Recipe?

Etouffee...Favorite Recipe?

Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 AM

Default Etouffee...Favorite Recipe?

Etouffee is a Cajun classic and It reminds me of the end of summer, when the local music festival arrives and my favorite food truck serves it up. There are tons of recipes out there and they all vary widely. Alas, no festival this year, so I'll have to make it myself. Here's a recipe that is similar to mine, except I add tomatoes, lots of hot peppers and use brown rice. Mine is also a little thicker than what is pictured.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/shrimp_etouffee/

It's important to brown the roux so it has a yummy, nutty smell to it....ummmm. Stir it constantly, or it will burn.

Do you have a favorite Etouffee recipe?
Old 10-04-2020, 08:31 AM

I printed out this recipe. It reminds me of Shrimp Jambalaya. Apparently the difference is that Etouffee is served over a bed of rice and Jambalaya has rice incorporated into the dish. I have never eaten much Cajun food. Several years ago I went to a Cajun restaurant and tried several of their dishes. I tried frog legs for the first time. Yuck! And I tried Shrimp Jambalaya which was pretty good. Comparing it to Jambalaya, I think I would probably like Etouffee more because I like the idea of it being served over a bed of rice. Also, I think I would prefer the changes that you made to the original recipe.