Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for former mother-in-law... >

Quilt for former mother-in-law...

Quilt for former mother-in-law...

Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Sounds like somebody who had no idea what a handmade object is worth in time and energy.
Oh, she absolutely knows better, my husband made sure of that. The first quilt I made for her was king sized and had over 9000 pieces. I gave her the top at Christmas, told her that was her present but I would quilt it and give it back. She loved it but my husband didn't think she really *got* it, so he turned it over and showed her the back with all the seams, and explained to her that I had sewn every single patch, every single stitch, with love for her. He also figured out how much time and money had gone into that quilt and told her to insure it for $7000.00, because that's how much it would cost to replace it. So she is well aware of the value of this quilt.

I wonder if she's getting rid of things because, in her mind, she doesn't have a lot of time left. However, I don't see why she couldn't make her wishes known in her will (or even a simple letter to her 2 kids, there won't be any fighting in this family over an inheritance) about where she wants her possessions distributed. That wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all.

Oh well. What's done is done, no going back now.

Last edited by Peckish; 09-24-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm very close to my brother, and also his ex wife. She's still a member of the family as far as we're all concerned. She's a wonderful human being and that's all I care about.
When they divorced I was devastated and told my brother that it would not affect my relationship with her. He replied that he would not have it any other way. I know this has been helpful to my 2 nephews as well.
It doesn't always have to be ugly!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM

It will be made with love and she will treasure it I am sure