Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deadly Taffeta quilt- Backing and batting? >

Deadly Taffeta quilt- Backing and batting?

Deadly Taffeta quilt- Backing and batting?

Old 10-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Deadly Taffeta quilt- Backing and batting?

Hi all,
Newbie here looking for advice on finishing one of my mom’s less-practical projects from 30 years ago. She gave me 20 blocks of fan-pattern made from taffeta, assembled on squares of old flannel sheets. Four and a half of the blocks have hand embroidery so I will have to complete the embroidery on the rest (thanks mom)!

This is obviously going to be a wall hanging rather than a quilt that will be used on a bed. I certainly wouldn’t want to wash it!

Given that, what should I use for batting and backing? Something that won’t stretch and will provide stability is what I am thinking. Or should I use batting at all??

I was going to put narrow sashing of black cotton between the blocks when they are sewn together. I don’t want to make it too large (a giant wall hanging needs a giant wall) but I don’t want to sew the taffeta blocks directly to each other.

I haven’t thought much about the actual quilting but would probably do just stitch in the ditch around the outer edges of the fans and along the sashing seams as minimizing the number of needle holes in the taffeta seems wise.

thanks in advance for any advice! Hoping to finish this in time to give it to my sister for Christmas.

Rrainea in Canada
Old 10-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Instead of trying to put a lot of squares together - you could take each block and frame it - you would probably need to use archival types of matting - several framed blocks displayed together could make a statement - or if you want to share them with several family members - you would have several pieces available.

The only other suggestion I would have would be to put enough squares together to cover a decorative pillow - for looking at only.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 PM

I think bearisgray is on the right track. The taffeta will continue to stretch and give you fits if you try to make it behave like cotton. There are lots of smaller projects that could bring you pleasure, as bearisgray suggested. Also, tote bags, purses, album covers and whatever else you can think of that you'd actually enjoy working on.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 AM

I'd use a fusible batting or just another layer of flannel since it's to be a wall hanging and quilt everywhere but the fans. Maybe make one for you and one for your sister? Or will you not want to look at them once you're done? I'd think stretching will be minimal. Using for anything else, sooner or later the item will need to be washed. But I would Scotchguard it heavily.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Before I would attempt to sew them together into a quilt or smaller project I would put some kind of stabilizer on the back of each block. These are beautiful memories to be cherished. This might help to keep them solid no matter what direction you decide to go.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:21 PM

Let the flannel be the "batting". Lay the squares out on a crisply starched piece of muslin or a chintz-like cotton that won't stretch. I would use satin ribbon as the strips between the blocks, stitching through the block and backing so that provides the quilting.
Make one for your sister by Christmas, and finish one for yourself by Valentine's Day! How about that?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Update on deadly taffeta

Hi all,
I finished my aspen quilt and turned back to the taffeta. I honestly think that putting it all together is the best way to deal with it. As a wall hanging it will be up out of the way and not subject to wear and tear. Only one of my sisters has expressed interest in it so it will go to her.

I finished the top using black sashing. It was actually surprisingly easy to put together. I think that I will get black backing fabric and quilt it without using batting.

I must admit that the lustrous fabrics actually make it look quite attractive.
Attached Thumbnails 2730eedf-8100-47f4-a670-5009d3609329.jpeg   749495c9-45f5-4e7e-a25b-2cd3b00f3ee3.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:41 PM

That is looking lovely! When I was working with ties and especially silk ties, I found wool to be a lovely lining. You might be able to find a blanket or large plaid shirt/jackets at the thrift store to use for lining.

But kudos for putting those together and thank you for updating your progress.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:46 PM

It looks terrific. You did a great job
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 AM

It's so lovely! I'm so glad you found the wherewithal to get through it -not only is it a wonderful keepsake, it's simply beautiful the way you've finished it!