Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DWR Questions >

DWR Questions

DWR Questions

Old 10-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Default DWR Questions

The picture I attached is outdated by a couple of days, I've been cruising along on this quilt and I'm now at the halfway point of being done with the quilt top. I'll attach an updated picture tomorrow.

It's getting on that time for me to start thinking about the quilting part and I'm having a dickens of a time choosing a good color. I'm using Aurifil thread, but the variegated colors that I originally picked out seems to be hard to find, so I've whittled away at what's available and I'm now stuck between two. Hoping maybe I could get some insight, please and thank you!

I'm leaning heavily towards the Silver Moon https://www.amazon.com/Aurifil-50wt-...-crafts&sr=1-1
which I think would be soft against the Muslin and would stand out against the orange and sage, but I'm also leaning towards Nutty Nougat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER which I think would be a good compliment, too.

I'm also wondering about the FMQ - I've never done a DWR, so I'm wondering if I should start in the middle of the quilt and work out or if it's okay to start at the top and work my way down? I'll be doing center medallions of continuous line hearts, the melons with a leaf and heart and then curved lines through the wedges and connecting corners.

I'll have this quilt top done within a week, maybe two and then I'm starting in on another quilt for my niece who's been struggling, but I won't be able to do the quilting on this quilt until sometime the middle of next month, I've got to get the batting and thread ordered first. Plus, I've got to get to know the Elvira ruler.

I'm completely open to any suggestions! Thanks ladies!!
Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2020, 12:50 AM
Administrator

i would choose Silver Moon

best practice on any quilt not being done on a long-arm is to start in the center.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:20 AM

I like your idea of using medallions for the center. I have done that on some of the DWR's I've made. Your idea of continuing into the wedges will definitely add to the quilt. Nice job so far!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:29 AM

I have made 6 DWR quilts. I have done all of them by hand. Your medallions sound great and will be perfect. You should be just fine if you start from the center.