Love sewing on the 301!

Old 10-13-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Love sewing on the 301!

I finally got the 301 lubed and working smoothly. I was able to stabilize the cradle fairly well. I've been sewing primarily with drop in bobbins and had a problem seating the bobbin. I thought maybe I'd forgotten how to use a bobbin like that, since it's been a long while since I actually used that style of bobbin. I pulled out the other 301 and couldn't get it to seat there, either. I kept thinking it was operator error. Turns out that it was a bad bobbin. Fortunately, I had purchased some new bobbins from sew-classic and they worked perfectly.

I made some masks on it yesterday. I love it. It's fast, quiet and smooth. It almost sews as nicely as a 201-2. It may crowd out the 401 for primary machine. I think it will be perfect for piecing.

bkay
Old 10-13-2020, 04:57 AM

Always good to hear another VSM is being used I've toiled with the idea of owning a 301 but i really don't need another straight stitch machine. Enjoy.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 AM

I met a local sewing machine friend who said her 301 is her "daily driver" and her $3000 machine sits mostly unused. I don't own one...yet.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:01 AM

I let my neighbor Matt next door borrow my 301 early on to make masks for his extended family. His MiL particularly has health issues.

He's more of a carpenter type, but was at home after a shoulder repair when Covid hit. Anyway, he loved the 301 and my description of it as as power tool with needles.

I was lucky a number of years ago and snagged two at the thrift store for around $20 or so each. Both plugged in and went just fine, and after a cleaning (and ok, very limited use) are still going fine 20 or so years later.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:58 PM

I own two 301A's and love them. One for everyday use at home, and one for my sewing up at the cabin!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM

I have my mom's 301a that I learned to sew on and I love to piece on it. I've pieced several quilts in the last few years on that machine. It just hums along with no problems. Gotta love that.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:00 AM

So glad they are working so well for so many. and that light weight is a big plus.