Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting in sections  of large quilt >

Basting in sections of large quilt

Basting in sections of large quilt

Old 10-18-2020, 07:53 AM

Default Basting in sections of large quilt

Hi expert quilters.

I’m making a CA king sized quilt. I usually pin baste on a table. But usually I end up with some wrinkles in the quilt no matter how CA I am. I read or heard in a podcast about someone who pins and quilts the middle of the quilt. Then goes back and pins and quilts the next section and that reduces the wrinkle problem. I have a sitdow long arm so have plenty of space for the quilt.

thanks for the advice
Old 10-18-2020, 12:32 PM

I have gone to glue basting for most things now. No wrinkles on either side. No puckers either. I will never go back to pin basting.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I still use large safety pins to sandwich quilt together as usual. Always works for me.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:57 PM

I have not had a problem with back wrinkles but you need a large space and though not easy on the knees or back, this is how I do. I place my backing wrong side up, on the floor and duct tape every couple feet all around, pulling taut as you go. Lay my batting on top, walking out any wrinkles. Then place my top And starting in the center pin the heck out of it. I can’t pin much at a time, taking breaks, but it does the job for me. I rather do that than end up having a problem later. Not easy at my age (today is my birthday again-lol) but doable. I quilt on a sit down long arm and mostly quilt queens but have made a few King size. I ALWAYS start quilting dead center and work my way out.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:38 AM

I use the Cindy Needham method using a table I’ve sacrificed to pin pricks. It’s saved the back It’s worked up until my last quilt. I realized I’m not stretching the back tight enough. You might consider this instead of the floor.

https://www.cindyneedham.com/blogs/n...eo-pin-basting
Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Marti Michell is the one who teaches quilting in sections. She has a really neat method of dividing the quilt into sections that are manageable to quilt. She has a book called Machine Quilting in Sections, and also a Craftsy class of the same name. You can preview the craftsy class free, and decide if you want to subscribe to Craftsy to see the rest of it. ($7.99 a month but they sometimes have free weekends and/or specials.)

https://www.craftsy.com/class/machin...or-any-quilt/#

Old 10-21-2020, 04:44 PM

I've used Marti Mitchell's method and it does work well when you don't have a machine that you can quilt a large quilt as one piece. Since I bought my Juki, I"m able to do larger quilts in one piece so I've been using this spray basting technique to avoid having to get down on the floor. It's worked great for me so far and I'm terribly experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaI...ature=youtu.be