Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-14-2021, 12:09 PM

Tartan, it breaks my heart to see people being so thoughtless. They paid zero for this experience, so in my book, that gives them zero right to say anything negative. Sigh. I imagine they would not say these things face to face with Bonnie. I am so sad for Bonnie. I sent her a PM the other day about something unrelated, not really expecting a reply. She went out of her way to help me, and I will forever be grateful to her for sharing her time and talents. I fai were her, I would be finished with free mystery patterns. 😞
Old 01-14-2021, 01:58 PM

Yes, so sad some people can be so thoughtless and ungrateful. People should understand they choose to do BH MQ. If they don't like anything about it, they are free to change it, wait for the reveal, or skip it all together. It takes thick skin to stay in a public business these days.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:01 PM

Okay, finally got around to getting a picture of my first block. Not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with it as this is my first BH MQ.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-block_grassy-creek.jpg  
Old 01-14-2021, 02:36 PM

Stitches...that is so pretty. It’s my first BH mystery, too, and I really enjoyed it and am enjoying assembling. I love the colors, which was what decided it for me to finally join in. Can’t wait to see more of your quilt. I should have mine done in a couple of days...or sooner. I picked up backing for it today so I’ll prep for LA’er quickly!, yah!
Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
Okay, finally got around to getting a picture of my first block. Not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with it as this is my first BH MQ.
Stitches, this looks wonderful! Congratulations on pursuing the Bonnie mystery. You will grow and improve and have a beautiful quilt to show for all your hard work.

Leslie
Old 01-15-2021, 04:15 AM

Thanks. I'm enjoying the process and the learning experience. For the most part I've been able to keep up with the clues. But I'm still working on 6 and 7. I think it will take me a little bit more time to put it all together but I'll get there. Some of you are so fast! - But I'm grateful for that because seeing all the progress and beautiful results encourages and inspires me to keep going.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I bought the pattern for On Ringo Lake. I can' wait to start! Bonnie is indeed a generous person and people who complained are beyond horrible. I didn't like my Frolic but no way would I tell her that! The mystery was so much fun.
This one is on my back burner. I didn't really like the colors but all you have to do is switch them out, right? Very sad to kick a gift horse in the mouth!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:26 AM

Ringo lake is one of my favorites - the only one I saved because I'd like to do another some day.

I've got my top assembled to the point of adding the border, and decided that I'm going to skip and call it done.

There is one part of this that I'd do different, and this it to make the strip blocks shorter, and make more FG and then sew the blocks as two sets instead of one wide and one narrow set. I do not like the way the seams look, since the neutral triangles don't like up with a seam, but the seam is close it looks likes it's a mistake. It is something only a quilter would noticed so I'm not worried about gifting it that way.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:38 PM

I have had fabrics laid out for another On Ringo Lake since I finished the last one, since I regretted changing the sashing color.

I have finished my 12 Ohio stars, so now on to building blocks. I am awaiting the arrival of sashing fabrics I ordered. If those don't work, I'll revert to the string blocks.

Stitches23, that is a pretty block!

Macybaby, I don't understand what you mean by 'sew the blocks as two sets instead of one wide and one narrow set.' Will you post a photo of your quilt, and maybe a close-up of the area you don't like? I eliminated the point on the string blocks, so I guess I'm not going to see this effect.

I thought Bonnie's first clue post indicated how stressed she was about the mystery -- worrying if people will like it, worrying if they'll understand the clues, worrying if she's made a mistake. People seem to expect her to be perfect. I wonder how charging a fee for the mystery would change the dynamic and the number of participants. It's terrible to think of how Bonnie just finished getting her retreat location ready and then the covid hit (and to think of all the millions of other people in similar straits).

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-15-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:09 PM

My quilt is done... I eliminated the HST border, changed the lime green inner border to orange, and used a remnant/scrap of wide backing I had for final border. Finished at 72” sq. YAH! I really like it... I’d make it the same except I would use a directional/striped fabric for sashing.
Attached Thumbnails 95de6bfe-0d44-4ece-8892-d79e57187f5d.jpeg   18d5f30c-726e-42e5-9689-f05d8fa27845.jpeg