Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Great job, Teen! I love the orange border. it really compliments your quilt. Since I haven't finished clue 6, I'm leaning towards the stripped sashing. At first I didn't thought it might be too busy but the more I see, the more I like it.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 PM

I am loving everyone’s quilts whether they are in the block stage or the top is finished or in between. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Macybaby and Teen: Congratulations on finishing your tops.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 PM

I finally got my blocks assembled. I would of had them done last weekend but I ended up with half of them I had to redo because I put the hst on wrong. I put the yellow half in towards the block instead of outwards. Now that I have that finished, I will be working on the sashing strips. For the out side border I won't use gray. Instead I will use digital splash by Henry glass.

Attached Thumbnails 100_1218.jpg  
Old 01-16-2021, 03:07 AM

Mine is coming together, albeit slowly. I'm doing a 16 block quilt and am saving the other 9 bocks for another projects. I really like the way it's turning out.
Attached Thumbnails grassy-creek.jpg  
Old 01-16-2021, 04:30 AM

Argh. My replies keep disappearing halfway through typing them.
Teen and Queenbarbiej, your border fabrics are perfect!
Stitches23, your block is perfect! Great colors.
Mkotch, your blocks are so pretty. I love how scrappy they are-I think that’s why Bonnie’s quilts all work so well.
Macybaby-please post a picture of your quilt!

I think I am finishing up my borders. I wanted to use the blue rectangles that I cut and did not incorporate into my top, so with a “few” more to cut, I think this will be my finish. Anxious to see your progress pics!
Attached Thumbnails 28c6ac84-9bab-49c3-817b-ee798a46161a.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2021, 06:16 AM

Jill: I love what you are doing with your border. It looks great,

I’m so impressed with everyone’s work. Even though I only made about half the blocks and was “caught up” when the last clue dropped, I still have some work to do. I got so excited about seeing my Ohio Stars that I wasn’t careful enough when piecing them. I have one more I need to rip apart and re-do. Sigh.
Right now, I plan to do an on-point setting and have been doing the math for the setting triangles (which will be pieced). Today, I’ll start putting them together and see where that goes.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:13 AM

Teen, your quilt is beautiful; that border fabric is just perfect to complement it -- and you had it in your stash!

Queenbarbiej, argh that you had to re-do so much, but they are looking lovely. I can't wait to see your quilt with that border fabric.

Mkotch, that is looking good! Your colors are working out well.

jillmc, that is really spectacular, especially with the blue in the border!

SuzSLO, I'm intrigued to see your on-point setting.

There's a chance my sashing fabric could arrive today. Hoping.

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-16-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:10 PM

Getting there... I swapped yellows for the orange and used a dark teal for the corners of the Ohio stars.
Attached Thumbnails 20210116_171921.jpg  
Old 01-16-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Getting there... I swapped yellows for the orange and used a dark teal for the corners of the Ohio stars.
Your quilt is gorgeous! And it coordinates with the artwork on your wall perfectly!
Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM

Joe's mom - this is what I mean, with the string blocks having the neutral triangles sewn on, there is no seam line to match up with going across like there would be if the string blocks ended and a flying geese unit was attached. So the closest seam of the string block give the impression that something is wrong, at least to me.

And if that FG was separate, then you could piece so it and the HST units attached to the 9 patch instead of having to attach them to the star block unit. I also think it would look better if the HST set was grouped with the 9 patch instead of grouped with the star unit. Me feeling on this quilt, from a distance and in pictures it looks pretty good, but up close it just looks random.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5275.jpg