Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-19-2021, 03:11 AM

AuntJo, love your soft colors!

Here is my completed "Green Mountain Spring" (I live in Vermont), using 16 of the big blocks. It ends up at 79" x 79" and will go to the long arm quilter Thurs. She is making the same quilt! I am now working with the 9 blocks that are left along with the leftover parts. This is fun!
Attached Thumbnails green-mountain-spring-top.jpg  
Old 01-19-2021, 04:40 AM

For the ladies who have borders on their quilts, what size border did you make? I was thinking 2" finish inner border and 5"-6" finished outer borders. If I do 6" outers, my quilt should roughly finish at 85" x 85".
Old 01-19-2021, 07:06 AM

queenbarbiej, my inner border was 1" finished and the outer border is 4 1/2" finished. Both determined by the amount of fabric available LOL
Old 01-19-2021, 08:58 AM

Thanks QuiltingVagabond.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:48 PM

auntjo, I love that blue sashing!

Mkotch, very pretty! Congratulations on finishing your top.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:21 PM

I just love all the different fabrics and designs. I have 19 of the 25 blocks completed. I am attaching the red ends to the grey strips as a leader/ender for my blocks. Previously I was adding the white triangles, but finished with them (thought that would never end LOL). I am in no hurry as I am also doing the Farmer's Wife Medallion Quilt here on the Board and have managed to keep up with the two blocks a week we are doing on that project.

I've attached a picture of 12 of the completed blocks. It seems like I have a long way to go!!
Attached Thumbnails 12-blocks2.jpg  
Old 01-19-2021, 06:33 PM

Mkotch: Congratulations on your finished top. I love the colors!

JeanieG: Nice colors! You are making great progress for having 2 quilts going at once.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
AuntJo, love your soft colors!

Here is my completed "Green Mountain Spring" (I live in Vermont), using 16 of the big blocks. It ends up at 79" x 79" and will go to the long arm quilter Thurs. She is making the same quilt! I am now working with the 9 blocks that are left along with the leftover parts. This is fun!
I love your quilt! The colors are terrific. And I love the inner border. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Leslie
Old 01-20-2021, 05:29 AM

I am putting the center stars together now, and running into difficulties. Despite careful pinning, both of my machines are sliding the seams out of alignment when I am sewing, and I am having to do a lot of ripping to sew the long seams again. A couple of the fabrics in my kit are old (one of them was dated 2002) and they are tearing along the seams when I remove stitches. I am trying to figure out what I can do to keep the seams aligned so I quit tearing fabric.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I am putting the center stars together now, and running into difficulties. Despite careful pinning, both of my machines are sliding the seams out of alignment when I am sewing, and I am having to do a lot of ripping to sew the long seams again. A couple of the fabrics in my kit are old (one of them was dated 2002) and they are tearing along the seams when I remove stitches. I am trying to figure out what I can do to keep the seams aligned so I quit tearing fabric.
How frustrating! I feel your pain. Whenever I have trouble keeping seams together, in any project, I run a thin line of Elmer's glue where the seam should be, do a quick press to set the glue, and then sew. The glue should hold your pieces together while sewing and will wash out later. This method however would require you to make sure everything was lined up before pressing the glue to dry. Ripping out would not be a good option afterwards. I would continue to pin for added support. I hope you find a solution soon that works for you!