Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those who do charity quilts...... >

For those who do charity quilts......

For those who do charity quilts......

Old 11-01-2020, 10:44 PM

Default For those who do charity quilts......

We live in California and lost our home to a lightning caused fire in August along with 900 other families.

We lived in our home for over 40 years and lost everything. Yesterday we were invited to a quilt giveaway for

those who lost their homes in the recent fires. Our local guild coordinated this give away and so many wonderful,

beautiful quilts were on tables for us to choose from. The quilts came from many different states

across the country along with different areas of this state. Such kindness!

The quilts we chose are so beautifully made and colorful that they bring not only warmth but joy and a

sense of comfort and home. If you are one of those who makes and donates quilts, please know how

much the beautiful quilt you made and donated means to those who get them.

The gift you created is deeply loved and appreciated. Thank you so very much!
Old 11-02-2020, 03:14 AM

Thank you for posting your experience. Most of what I do are donation quilts, some of which have gone to the Red Cross or other organizations. We always wonder and hope they are appreciated, but I figure if my work gives someone just 15 minutes of comfort, it was worth it

Some of my quilts rather "taste specific" I always like groups that let you choose instead of just handing out the next in the stack.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:48 AM

Thank you for your comments. I also make quilts for donation and as a matter of confidentiality I never hear about where quilts land so to speak. I am thrilled that you were able to choose what would please you and your dreams for your next home. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. It means a lot on this side of the sewing machine.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:40 AM

Thank you for the heartwarming comments and taking the time to pass them along. I have also made quilts for donations through my guild. Most of these quilts go to children's hospitals and I've often wondered if the recipients even bother to take them home when they leave the hospital or if they just get thrown away.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:45 AM

As many of us donate quilts it is so nice to hear when they are received and enjoyed. Thank you for letting us know. I hope you are going to love your new home. I know it must be so hard to start over.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:51 AM

Bonnie....I would think most of them would be taken home....there just seems to be an never ending need for homemade quilts of all sizes....they are appreciated.....even though I have made many quilts and have kept a number of them, a friend made me a "chemo" quilt that actually is a pretty big quilt and it is on my bed now.....it warms my heart every time I look at it. keep on a quilting....it is a good thing in this battered old world.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

This one note of appreciation has touched many of us. Thank you for posting it.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:48 AM

I only started doing charity quilts when I joined this guild a year ago and have only done a few. It is great to hear of your experience. The quilts I have worked on went to a pregnancy center. Quilts both large and small go there. This year with COVID I am sure donations are down a great deal.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your home. I can't imagine. Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Cfuzzy, thank you for sharing. I am so sorry for your loss. My son is a CalFire captain at Bogg’s Helitack and it has been a frightful and sad year for fires. I am finishing up a charity quilt that is specifically for California fire victims as long as it is not too late to gift. I can’t remember which organization it is being mailed to.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:37 AM

I am so sorry that you and so many others lost their homes and all their possessions. I hope your quilt will warm you with all the love and care sewn into every stitch. May God bless & restore all your loss.