Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using interfacing for foundation piecing??? >

Using interfacing for foundation piecing???

Using interfacing for foundation piecing???

Old 11-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Default Using interfacing for foundation piecing???

I usually draw my block design on a fabric foundation but thought it would be easier on lightweight interfacing - I don't like using paper foundations at all, plus I was gifted with yards of interfacing. Anyone have experience with this? My concern is the interfacing may not hold up over time. I plan to do a fair amount of quilting which will secure the interfacing in place. Thoughts? Thanks for your input.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:43 PM

I think interfacing will hold up over time as I used it in my dresses for the collars, etc. & it seemed to go through lots of washings & it still stayed in. The quilting will certainly secure it better than it was in my collars.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:15 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work well. As Osewme says, it lasted for years in garments that were washed. What a nice gift! Something you can actually use.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

There are many different types of interfacing. Some would add a stiffness to the quilt, and most of them will add bulk to the seams. Others are lightweight and wouldn't be noticed inside the quilt. There is a water soluble interfacing, but probably not what you have.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:20 PM

I saw a Lori Holt YouTube recently and that’s what she uses. Here’s the link.

https://youtu.be/4W6mhMhMjx0
Old 11-03-2020, 01:51 AM

Thank you for posting the video link. I have used non-fusible interfacing as foundations in the past but had not thought of making a summer weight quilt without batting and just the interfacing in the middle. I am going to make one this way now that the idea is in my head. I think that would be really fun with prairie points instead of binding.
And Lori Holt’s organization systems are quite inspiring. Oh, to be that coordinated!
Old 11-03-2020, 06:06 AM

I've used light weight interfacing and never had trouble. With alot of quilting it will be secure.