Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cricut for Quilt Labels >

Cricut for Quilt Labels

Cricut for Quilt Labels

Old 11-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Default Cricut for Quilt Labels

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Cricut machine for the primary purpose of making quilt labels. I am not an active paper rafter at this time, and I am thinking about the little Joy unit because I would prefer not to have to find space to store a larger Cricut that I likely will not use to its fullest.
Have any of you used a Cricut or Silhouette machine to print quilt labels? If so, I would like to know your opinion on how useful one might be for this purpose. I love the idea of making very presentable labels, but don’t want to invest if the labels won’t hold up or if there are other issues that would make it a poor choice.
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:11 PM

I'll be following this discussion although I don't have anything to contribute. Cricut can print now? I thought it mostly was for cutting shapes.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:16 PM

I would not say that the Cricut prints in the same way as a computer printer does. It does have pens that can be used to write/draw and it can cut iron-on (I think vinyl) material. It also has a product called infusible ink that only works on polyester substrates. I am mainly interested in the iron-on option.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 PM

hmm... interesting question. I just gave DIL a Cricut last Christmas (although she didn't bother to even figure it out despite having on her wish list--son did just it to make vinyl stickers for political signs)and I have a Silhouette original Cameo--but while it does have ink pens you can slip into the holder, I don't think it's permanent ink, at least on fabric. But I think I'll explore that some to see if any of the permanent fabric pens will fit into the holder.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:13 AM

I don't know the cost of a Cricut, but for quilt labels, Custom printed Spoonflower swatches may be more cost effective. The swatch is 6X8 inches, which could be 2-4 labels, for $5....

You've suddenly inspired me! I'm gonna go create some now!
Old 11-10-2020, 08:10 AM

Aashley, do you mean get the Spoonflower fabric company to custom print it for you on fabric with their process?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 AM

Fat Quarter shop owner always shows her labels on backs of quilts and I don't remember the name of the company she gets them from but you might want to check out her website or blog. She is Kimberly Jolly and I love watching her videos every Friday. Good luck to you
Old 11-11-2020, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon5012 View Post
Aashley, do you mean get the Spoonflower fabric company to custom print it for you on fabric with their process?
Yes, they create "swatches" for $5, and they are 6x8 inches. I think 2-4 labels would fit on each. Haven't tried labels yet, but photos and art prints I've had printed were vibrant and amazing! I've even had fabric printed from a coloring page from an adult coloring book that I uploaded. (that was a bit pricey $17.50/yd) here's a pic - I backed a quilt with it.
Attached Thumbnails yardage2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Fat Quarter shop owner always shows her labels on backs of quilts and I don't remember the name of the company she gets them from but you might want to check out her website or blog. She is Kimberly Jolly and I love watching her videos every Friday. Good luck to you

The company she buys her labels from is Sweetwater. I believe it's a monthly club but I've never checked it out.