What are these machines?

Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Default What are these machines?

It looks like these machines are coming my way. I can not find anything about them. What are they? Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails comp2.jpg   companion1.jpg   norwood.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 05:45 PM

They are treadle operated vibrating shuttle machines with leaf tensioning (I know, not very helpful)....other than that I am going to guess they were manufactured by White, Davis, National, etc. in the later 1800s or early 1900s, and labeled as you see them.
I have a National VB-TT Type 5 which looks a lot like the first one. It is not complicated to operate, the big problem for me was finding a shuttle that fit. I hope they both have shuttles or it complicates it quite a bit as there were only about a thousand different shuttle sizes.

Pictures of the face plates would be helpful.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:38 PM

I agree with Joe. Pictures of the face plate and the tensions would be better help identify. Sometimes the leaf tension can give a clue as to who made the machine.

The Norwood could be a Standard, but it doesn't look like the one badged Norwood on needlebar.org. I didn't see any Companion by itself; There was a "New Companion" & "Companion City" for New Home and National respectively. Needless to say, needlebar doesn't list them all and there could be some that are badged from some other company.

Looks like those will keep you busy for a bit.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.