Help

Old 11-20-2020, 04:37 AM

Default Help

Any tips on using fleece as a backing? My 1st attempt.Some say to use a thin interfacing to prevent stretching.Can I spray it.Do I need a batting.Any help from you experts is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:44 AM

I did my first fleece as backing only a couple years ago. I do prefer a bit of something between the layers, even a piece of flannel to help bite/hold the stitches but I don't think I want a thick batt unless it was going to a very cold home. Also, some fleece can be very dark/heavily printed and show through a light top if there is no interfacing of any type.

It was simple and easy to work with, no problems at all. I spray baste. I think it is a great option, especially when it goes on sale. The one thing that comes up is keeping the project to the width of the fleece or the options for seaming. But for a single width project, it's great.

The one down side is the same reason I don't back with flannel, I have pets and don't like the way the hair grabs to it.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Several years ago, a friend asked me to make two layer throws of fleece,,

I learned that the different pieces shrank at different rates, so that the layers became wrinkly,

Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Whenever I have trouble running a project under the presser foot/feed dog, I lay down newspaper before I sew. Then it rips away easily. I use this method mostly with minky backing and when I applique.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:06 PM

If you decide not to interface all of the fleece at least do the parts that will be on the edge under the binding. Over time, and multiple washings, it will get much thinner. But, honestly, lightly interfacing all the fleece will only help in the quilting process by making it more maneable and less likely to stretch out of shape over time.

I have a fleece quilt on my bed that is flannel on top and fleece on the bottom. The fleece is also the border. It has stretched on the edges. I should have at least interfaced the edges.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:33 AM

TY so much