Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Eyeglass Cleaners -- How to Make?? >

Eyeglass Cleaners -- How to Make??

Eyeglass Cleaners -- How to Make??

Old 11-20-2020, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Default Eyeglass Cleaners -- How to Make??

I hate dirty eyeglasses. Maybe it is because of my vision problems that I like to polish them frequently. Maybe to check that it is not all my eyes fault?

I know that we can make eyeglass cleaners.

However, when I was googling around for the "How To", I found conflicting info ... one place would say use this, while another would say absolutely do not use it, as it would cause damage to the specs! *sigh* Then, of course, the fears of any residual "fumes" that could affect my eyes if the wrong concoction is used. *another sigh*

Yes, you have guessed my questions ...
* Who makes eyeglass cleaner(s)?
* What is your secret potion?
* Would you please share the recipe?

Please? and Many Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-20-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:30 PM

I keep a bottle of window cleaner out on the kitchen counter. A quick spray on the glasses and a wipe with paper towels to clean my glasses. My glasses are on and off multiple times so they need frequent cleaning.

My mom always used dish soap and warm water to wash her glasses each day.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM

I just use the spray bottle from the eye place but if I'm at home I use soap and water and wipe with an eyeglasses cloth.The cloths from the eye place are tiny so I buy big ones from Amazon. I think they're about 10" square.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Eye glasses are so expensive I buy the cleaner and cloth the lab uses. I don't have to worry about using something that may damage the lens.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

I just use the spray and cloth from the eye place. You are better off using Kleenex as they are softer then paper towels if you don’t have a cleaning cloth. You are not supposed to use windex or similar as it contains ammonia that can damage some glasses surfaces.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:07 PM

I have oily skin, so I go to the kitchen sink and lather my hands up with a bit of Dawn, then clean my glasses with my bare fingers. I rinse in hot water, then dry with microfiber or paper towel. When I’m done there is no dirt, oil or smudges on my lenses. I also clean the nose- and ear-pieces the same way.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:12 PM

My husband likes using commercial lens wipes that contain Isopropyl Alcohol, so I suppose you could make your own with rubbing alcohol. Personally, I just use soap and water and then blot dry with a clean tea towel.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:26 AM

Somewhere I read not to use anything other than cloth on eyeglasses as any paper products have wood fibers and can eventually scratch lenses - especially plastic lenses.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:45 AM

QuiltE you can get a large bottle of eye glass cleaner in the pharmacy area of Walmart, for about $2. Then I just refill my smaller bottles for my purse, by my sewing machine, and in the bathroom. Once a week I treat my glasses to a soapy wash too.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I'm a DIY queen but have never seen a diy glasses cleaner recipe, sorry! I bet someone has one though. I clean my readers with Windex or I just use soap and water.
No problems.