thread and needles

Old 11-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Default thread and needles

This has been needling me the past day or so..... as most of you know, I'm new to this sewing game and I'm learning. But I can't keep straight needles and threads. There are three threads in my "arsenal"..... Superior, Coats & Clark, and Gutermann. The Superior is a 50wt, I think the C&C is 30 or 40 (Dual Coat XP) and the Getermann is unknown, maybe 15??
The needles I have are Superior and Schmetz(i think) and they are 80 thru 100. I've been looking for a chart that shows suggested/recommended needles for sized thread. Any recommendations???
Also what do you guys use for thread and needles?? I would like to have a standard set up with a couple sizes based on what I'm doing. I used the Superior So Fine 50 white for masks and that seemed to work well. Today I tried sewing some zippers onto a coated heavy fabric and the thread kept binding and knotting on the bottom. I guess my tension is incorrect. So tomorrow I will try the So Fine, change needle, turn down tension, make length a bit longer and give that a try. I guess I need a notebook with all this info stashed inside!!! Any one advise where I can find a chart? Any needle/thread recommendations??
Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM

check out the thread chart on the Superior Thread Co. website. But generally speaking, the higher the # with threads the finer it is. But there are 2 other factors with thread that go into the mix too--the # of plys (threads that are twisted) and wt--how "heavy' the thead is--so a #50 (SoFine) is a fairly fine, think it's a 2 ply thread. Superior MicroQuilter (a #100??)is finer still and I think it's also a 2 ply. Strength is usually higher with poly or poly coated with cotton threads.

Needles go the opposite direction--the higher the number the larger the needle. So a #16 is fine for jeans or heavy (4 layer) masks, but in quilting most will use a #11 or 12 quilting(fine point) needle. Many use a #14 Topstitch (a smidge longer) needle to quilt using their domestic machine.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 PM

I use 80/12 with regular weight thread. I have used 70/10 when sewing with a fine thread on silk and 90/14 for heavier fabrics and threads and usually for quilting. I can usually use a 90/14 with Guterman when hemming jeans for my husband.

I just found this chart on Etsy. Its a pretty good guideline. https://www.etsy.com/listing/7016777...4ff1ea0df904c2