Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border help needed >

Border help needed

Border help needed

Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 PM

Default Border help needed

I started cutting this quilt today (fabric has sat for a long time), and I decided I'd better review what I'd chosen for border fabric. It is a regular print, so I am picturing that it will look awkward where the top and bottom borders go across the side borders. You will see that the design is staggered and there is not enough space between the staggers to get a clean line between the little medallions. So there will be partial medallions wherever the cut is made. I decided there was no way I would be able to piece WOF cuts satisfactorily, so I plan to cut all four borders along the length.

I haven't done many mitered borders, and my question is, with lengthwise cuts on all sides, is it going to look better if I miter this border, or will that be just as awkward? If they are both going to be awkward, I'd just as soon go with the easier style of border. Or would you choose a different border fabric?

Attached Thumbnails img_5666_fotor.jpg   img_5671_fotor.jpg  
Old 11-22-2020, 11:29 PM

Honestly, I think the pattern is small and busy enough that the partial medallions wouldn't be noticeable.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:47 AM

I agree with Vadalia, I say do what you're most happy with doing.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 AM

Mitering can turn into a disaster quickly. If the pattern is small enough one could probably not see it from a galloping horse. I'm in a strange mood as they just hauled my sister in law off to the hospital vomiting blood. So my comments are jaded.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:12 AM

One of your photos shows a butt joint. Have you tried folding the fabric to look like a mitered joint? Then you can choose whether your prefer the butt or miter joint.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:03 AM

It looks like that fabric is directional also. You would need to rotate it around the quilt in order to match the print. Cornerstones, four patch blocks or pinwheels will get you out of the jam.

You can glue baste a seam to match prints. Cut the fabric piece oversized to have enough fabric to match seams. Fold, glue and dry. Then stitch and trim the seam.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Jenny Beyer has a great video on how to use border prints with medallions, etc. I watched it before I cut into one of her fabrics I wanted to use for the border. Basically she mentioned to match up the corners at that's what most people's eyes will go to and cut somewhere in the middle of the border where it won't show as much. Worked great for me.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I would miter the corners, it will flow nicely around the quilt
Old 11-23-2020, 10:01 AM

You could put squares of a different fabric in the corners. Good luck with it!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM

Thanks, everyone!