Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll log cabin - im an idiot >

Jelly Roll log cabin - im an idiot

Jelly Roll log cabin - im an idiot

Old 12-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Question Jelly Roll log cabin - im an idiot

I am new to this forum and have made all of 2 quilts in my life - please forgive my ignorance on both fronts.

I am trying to make a log cabin quilt with jelly rolls. I am completely lost as to how many jelly rolls i would need. I have read anywhere from 2-6 rolls. I am bad at cutting and would rather use a jelly roll but if youre telling me i need 6- insanity $$$

this first-return-on-google return is what I am going for. 6x5 or 6x6? is what i am thinking. Is that a cozy size for lounging on a couch? I have seen a few old posts about this - i am sure there are a million so i am sorry if this is a common thread. I belong to some other forums and I know that can be extremely annoying. The posts I was able to find had lots of math and ideally like i wish someone would just say BUY X NUMBER !

Anywho, please help me!

Old 12-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by niel View Post
I am new to this forum and have made all of 2 quilts in my life - please forgive my ignorance on both fronts.

I am trying to make a log cabin quilt with jelly rolls. I am completely lost as to how many jelly rolls i would need. I have read anywhere from 2-6 rolls. I am bad at cutting and would rather use a jelly roll but if youre telling me i need 6- insanity $$$

this first-return-on-google return is what I am going for. 6x5 or 6x6? is what i am thinking. Is that a cozy size for lounging on a couch? I have seen a few old posts about this - i am sure there are a million so i am sorry if this is a common thread. I belong to some other forums and I know that can be extremely annoying. The posts I was able to find had lots of math and ideally like i wish someone would just say BUY X NUMBER !

Anywho, please help me!
you don't say how large you want the quilt. One way to look at it is how many blocks will you be making. And will the color format vary at all (i.e lights but not necessarily the exact order you show) cause if you are willing to mix up a bit it would seem you'd be able to use the odd ends of the 40-41" jelly roll strip . Maybe one way to estimate is to figure the # of blocks you plan then using your example, count how many strips you can get out of each jelly roll piece (and imagine it would depend on the # of lights/darks in the jelly roll too)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

The quilts that I call "couch size" are about 60 to 65 inches wide and 80 to 85 inches long. Big enough for most adults to fall asleep under while on the couch but not so big that there is lots of extra quilt.

They are also large enough to use as an "extta" quilt for warmth on a bed.

I was able to do straight line quioting on my domestic sewing machine- a 1980s Pfaff 1471.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 PM

Anywho, please help me!
you don't say how large you want the quilt. One way to look at it is how many blocks will you be making. And will the color format vary at all (i.e lights but not necessarily the exact order you show) cause if you are willing to mix up a bit it would seem you'd be able to use the odd ends of the 40-41" jelly roll strip . Maybe one way to estimate is to figure the # of blocks you plan then using your example, count how many strips you can get out of each jelly roll piece (and imagine it would depend on the # of lights/darks in the jelly roll too) This will somewhat depend on the jelly roll and whether you have equal light/darks in the roll and how many total. using your example looks like you'd need 1 strip for the lights (mixing them up) and 1.5 for the dark (again mixing them up) but that depends on your flexibility for the color layout.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

PS welcome to the board!
Old 12-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
you don't say how large you want the quilt. One way to look at it is how many blocks will you be making. And will the color format vary at all (i.e lights but not necessarily the exact order you show) cause if you are willing to mix up a bit it would seem you'd be able to use the odd ends of the 40-41" jelly roll strip . Maybe one way to estimate is to figure the # of blocks you plan then using your example, count how many strips you can get out of each jelly roll piece (and imagine it would depend on the # of lights/darks in the jelly roll too)
I am sorry i thought i had said how large i would want it- if i make it the size of the image above I was thinking doing 6x6 or 6x5? But i was asking if that sounded right. So 30-36? Does that sound accurate? I am in the wild here so any guidance would be helpful
Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 PM

id like to do a traditional color palette of a light side and a dark side. ideally just greys or blacks on one side and whites on the other. Im happy to buy mixed print rolls, though i am finding plain ones too... in the places I am finding that say you could use 2, couldnt I buy a dark roll and a light roll?

Last edited by niel; 12-09-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:01 PM

Let me take a shot at this.

The total length of the dark colors in one block add up to 59.5". Multiply that by 36 blocks (6x6) = 2,142". Divide by 40" (average length of a jelly roll strip) = 54 strips of dark fabrics

Total length of light fabrics in one block add up to 45". Multiply by 36 = 1,620". Divide by 40" = 41 strips of light fabric.

Most jelly rolls (but not all) have 40 strips. You would need 3 jelly rolls BUT since you need a specific number of light and dark fabric strips, you'd have to carefully select rolls that have enough the right balance of light and dark strips, with enough variation in color to make the pattern. I suspect you might have to buy more than 3 jelly rolls to achieve that.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 PM

i am interested maybe in these?
https://www.joann.com/jelly-roll-cot.../15216542.html
they seem cheaper than many i am finding - yes it has only 20 but even if i got two its still less than most I find in the 30-40 range. Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:14 PM

i am interested maybe in these?
https://www.joann.com/jelly-roll-cot.../15216542.html
they seem cheaper than many i am finding - yes it has only 20 but even if i got two its still less than most I find in the 30-40 range. Thoughts?
they got bad reviews tho so theres that lol