Riccar 808E HELP!

Old 12-27-2020, 06:46 AM

Default Riccar 808E HELP!

Hello,

I am desperately in need of some guidance. I recently purchased a Riccar 808E and I am having a few issues .

1. The machine only sews backwards.
2. The stitch length dial and reverse button component is broken.
3. Hand wheel is a bit tight even after oiling.

Does any one know or have any suggestions on these issues. I'm looking forward to your responses.

Thank you in advance,
Riccar Owner

Last edited by VtgRiccars; 12-27-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Welcome aboard. I've never touched a Riccar, but I will jump in on your last question.

Unless this machine has been in regular service, the oil holes will not put oil every where it does.
Oil every place where metals rubs against metal. take access plates off and oil in there. Blow dryer heat can melt gummed up lube and help, too. Many times had wheel drag can be tied to the bobbin area.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:37 PM

Default Riccar 808E

Originally Posted by VtgRiccars View Post
Hello,

I am desperately in need of some guidance. I recently purchased a Riccar 808E and I am having a few issues .

1. The machine only sews backwards.
2. The stitch length dial and reverse button component is broken.
3. Hand wheel is a bit tight even after oiling.

Does any one know or have any suggestions on these issues. I'm looking forward to your responses.

Thank you in advance,
Riccar Owner
I've owned a Riccar 808E for several years, unfortunately it also only sews in reverse. I put it on my do-it-later shelf with plans to again try and repair the reverse problem. I have a Singer 15-91 and 66 on my work bench now so I won't look at the Riccar until I finish those. Let me know if you receive any solutions in the meantime.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:39 AM

If your reverse button/stitch length is broken, it sounds like a trip to the repair shop ( or a special part that needs to be ordered and installed)
Old 12-29-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Thanks for the warm welcomes

Thank you guys for attempting to figure out the issues. I am currently looking at eBay for spare parts among other places.

I wanted to share with you all that so far I've gotten steps closer to the issues. For the handwheel being tight, I found I had a cracked hook drive gear.

And for the reverse sewing....it finally sewed forward 🥳. I had the buttonhole dial on F, to get forward stitching button dial must be closest to the blue square. I hope this can help someone.