Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will this work. >

Will this work.

Will this work.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:57 PM

Default Will this work.

Took a very large tote of batting from my friends estate. The top part was queen sized batts. In the bottom was dozens of place mat sized batts and a f ew pre printed baby quilt backing for panels. My question can I use 505 spray and glue batting pieces on these panels.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:05 PM

Is the batting cotton or polyester? Polyester batting kind of melts when you put spray glue on it. But cotton batting would be OK.

Also, do you want that glue next to a baby? If you read the can, the glue comes out with dry cleaning, not regular laundering.

You could always use washable glue stick around the edges. Or machine baste them together.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:01 PM

Sometimes the machine basting makes hard lines. I have successfully large-stitch hand basted pieces of batting together. My friend, who has a longarm, doesn't even bother hand basting the pieces. She just slightly overlaps them and keeps on quilting.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Thank you so much, just didn't think about not using glue in a baby quilt since I rarely have an occasion to make baby quilts.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Sometimes the machine basting makes hard lines. I have successfully large-stitch hand basted pieces of batting together. My friend, who has a longarm, doesn't even bother hand basting the pieces. She just slightly overlaps them and keeps on quilting.
Well I have a short arm so I can do that. Only one piece is poly, all others Hobbs batting.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I hand baste together using a large zig zag stitch. Sometimes I glue baste together using Elmer's washable glue stick. I pin until the glue dries and sticks well. I use either polyester or project fleece battings.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I usually zig zag batting pieces together. If the background of a top has large areas of white, I get out a new big batt because the zig zag can show through in some light backgrounds.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:09 AM

I would machine like battings together into a single piece for use with the smaller quilt then glue baste your quilt together. Much easier way to baste a quilt together. Wash the quilt after quilting to remove the Elmer's Washable School Glue.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:37 AM

I zig zag batting pieces together all the time. I use the widest zig zag on my machine and a long stitch. After the quilt is quilted, you never know that the batting has been pieced. By the way, I use Dream Batting, in the poly and 70-30 blend and I spray baste and never had a problem with it not holding.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:35 AM

I also use the zig zag method on putting batting pieces. It has always worked for me and certainly is not noticeable in the end.