2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-10-2021, 08:17 AM

I am definitely working from my stash this year and have only had to purchase a couple pieces. I purchased some PUL for burp cloths and bibs and 2 pieces of backing fabric. I know I purchased one other piece but I don't recall what it was for but for something special I needed to do. Anyway I am doing great using fabrics from my stash and I want to share a couple quilt I have made from my stash.
Attached Thumbnails hunters-star.jpg   drunkard-path1.jpg   apple-core-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I am definitely working from my stash this year and have only had to purchase a couple pieces. I purchased some PUL for burp cloths and bibs and 2 pieces of backing fabric. I know I purchased one other piece but I don't recall what it was for but for something special I needed to do. Anyway I am doing great using fabrics from my stash and I want to share a couple quilt I have made from my stash.
Here are a few more.
Attached Thumbnails drunkard-finish.jpg   tumbler-9-patch-carol.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 08:33 AM

Here is one of my favorite quilts made from my stash the Pineapple! Now I am working on Oven Mitt for holiday gifts a bit of a change in gears but all from my stash. This has been a great year for stash busting. I am also cutting various sizes of strips to may a larger string quilt I am using up a large amount of scrap this way.

Attached Thumbnails pineapple-finished.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Awesome projects, Juliasb, thanks so much for sharing.

Did you hand or machine sew the apple core??

You know... I sort of like the spacing of the the squares on the 9-patch with flowers. I might do something like that using grey or something in the empty space holders. I need to spend some time pondering that idea.

Y'all know I gave up my magazine subscriptions because I get more ideas from the board here. Once again, thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:30 PM

Beautiful body of work.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:22 PM

juliasb: Awesome quilts! Thanks for sharing. Definitely great use of stash.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Awesome projects, Juliasb, thanks so much for sharing.

Did you hand or machine sew the apple core??
The apple core is machine sewn. I haven't had it quilted and am thinking about making it even larger.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:50 AM

Great quilt projects Julia…you must have an amazing stash. I really like the 9P with daisy like blocks…colorful and fun.

I have been disciplined all year about not buying fabric until this week. Unfortunately, a quilt shop in Madison, Maine is closing its doors for retirement. The owner has had the business for 43 years…they are discounting everything in the store so I bought mostly yardage for backings that I need for 3 or 4 WIPs.

I seriously considered buy a new machine but finally came to my senses…I have three wonderful working machines already.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

I’ve been going through more of my totes and found a bunch of fabrics that will be perfect for sets of placemats and candle mats. I love being able to make lots of Christmas gifts without having to ( shop). In the past few years I’ve done well not adding to my stash, but not as good using up my stash; this year that has changed. I’ve shared lots of fabric this year and managed to use a lot also. I’ve moved 4 empty totes to the garage and I have room on my shelves. I’m finding I have to be more creative to put things together. I’m going to have to piece a few backs soon, which I haven’t done in ages- I’ve for years, purchased wide backs. That shelf only has 3 left. I will make backs for most of the small quilts Ben made I still need to get quilted. Creating backs will use up lots more stash. I still struggle with time spent in the sewing room- it’s been 2 years now since my TBI - in my mind I should be * over it!* I hate accepting what the neurologist said - that it was a life changing Permanent injury. Bit, I can’t change it I can only keep learning to work around it. Which happens in spurts. I realize my quilting chapter in life might come to an end- which will be ok- it’s been a great time.
Life certainly can change in the blink of an eye!
Anyway, I’m feeling good about using up and passing on what I’ve accumulated over the past 20; years.
I finally finished quilting Ben’s largest quilt, will I take pictures and share tomorrow on my day off. I think I have 7 of his still to quilt, luckily they are small. And I have 3 really big ones of my own to quilt at some point and a few smaller ones. Should keep me going through the winter, which is coming at us starting today with cold & lake effects snow.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:06 AM

I just pulled out my Christmas fabrics stash and am making Oven Mitts. I have 10 pair ready for binding and will get those done as soon as possible. I am going slower than usual because I am still struggling with the after effects of COVID. I only need to have 4 pair done for gift giving. Fortunately I have a great stash to work from. jmoore asked about my stash. My stash can out live me through another 3-4 lifetimes. So many vintage fabrics now that I bought so long ago. Some are only 36" wide! It is time to use them up so that is what I am doing. The only things I have had to buy are backings and batting. I have picked up a couple of special pieces that I needed to finish a quilt but everything else has come from my stash and my sewing studio can attest to the mess!