UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 AM

The Thanksgiving JellyRoll* Race - with added 4 patches.

*No jelly rolls were actually used in the construction of this quilt. It was all scraps, pieces of leftover binding, some random 4 patches. I wish I could tell you it made a dent in my scraps, but as we all know.....Final size after "Racing" was 64 x 105. I trimmed bottom and added some side borders for final flimsy size of 74 x 98.

Note to those having problems posting pictures - For some reason the "Advance" option is not showing up on my mobile device, and I could only post this because I'm on the computer today.
Attached Thumbnails img_20211129_183125711.jpg  
Old 12-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

RFF Rff1010, I love your race quilt. One of these days I’m going to make one. I’ve been getting rid of a lot of my scraps by putting them into a large flat rate box and sending them to someone who loves getting them and puts them to good use, making donation quilts, but I still have lots of strips I haven’t sent away yet. Today I used stash fabric and manage to get 4 quilts binding on and the strips cut for a fifth one. I’ve done well this year using stash and creating space on my shelves. Probably still have enough fabric to keep me going for another year or two, but at least it doesn’t seem like lifetime amounts any more. It’s easy to see what I have now.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I forgot this was the Ufo topic — I finished — completely finished 4 quilts this weekend, I have one loaded up on the Longarm to get quilted- one more ready for binding and only 3 left in the stack. Whew- it’s felt like a lot this year, but I’ve really managed to get many ufos done this year. I have a couple projects I would really like to start but will wait until there are no ufos left. I’m thinking probably ( hopefully) by February. This weekend was the last whole weekend I will have off this year.
here are two of Ben’s I got the bindings on, also got the binding on his denim quilt and that great big quilt he did and the turquoise/ purple one.
Attached Thumbnails 3becb7c9-5bee-4889-8d63-966e0a4578e8.jpeg   13aea59a-74e8-479f-b0aa-a2e0fe091454.jpeg  
Old 12-05-2021, 08:32 PM

Rff1010: Very pretty Jelly Roll Race quilt. Like ckcowl, I want to make one some day too. I like how you used your leftover scrap fabrics.

ckcowl: Congratulations on finishing more UFOs! Ben’s designs make me smile.

I’m making progress on my 4 UFOs. I’m hoping by the end of the month to have all of them to the sandwich stage. 2 more to go.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:12 AM

Three of my Zoom quilting friends are gathering for a mini retreat this week-end at the home of one of the Zoomers. I will be taking a UFO and two WIP, almost finished, to be my projects. I know I won't finish the UFO but I can make some progress. It is the Farmer's Wife quilt and I have fizzled out several times. I have about 80 blocks finished. I am tempted to complete just enough to make it rectangular, sash and move on. After three years, I am really tired of looking at it in its unfinished state. Besides I want to start the Sylvia's Bridal Quilt in some spring/ summer pastels. I am tired of CW reproduction fabrics for my Harriet's Journey and an Alcott Civil War quilt.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up 14 Year Old UFO done!

Rff1010: I love the idea of 4-patches in your Jelly Roll Race. I have only ever seen them with accent colors between each of the strips.

I was able to finally get another "old" puppy done. It is a Tazmanian Devil Around-the-World. As best as I can remember, it has been kitted for at least that long (longer than I have been at my current job-- ). I did need to pick up the beige and the red batik, but at least this one is done and finishes at 102" x 114" !
Attached Thumbnails taz-atw.jpg   taz-atw-closeups.jpg  

Last edited by Motorcyclemad; 12-07-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:38 AM

I am going to try hard to get my tops quilted I think it's in the number of at least less than 10 I had a turned ankle in July that was a chip fracture so was unable to navigate the stairs and standing to quilt. So have pieced around 4 quilts that are to be quilted.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:55 PM

Taz looks great! That's a *big* quilt
Old 12-07-2021, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I have tomorrow off & it’s supposed to be snowy & cold- no errands to run- so…going to try to get the binding on the last of the quilted stack- another of Ben’s - binding strips are cut, shouldn’t take long, then I have another of his loaded up to quilt. I’d like to also get a couple Christmas gift projects done ( placemats & candle mats) and maybe my December National Quilt Museum block, then that can be put together. Whew, sounds like a lot when I write it down. I will be happy with whatever I accomplish. I have Thursday off too- but have morning appointments and that always seems to take a lot out of me. Working Friday and Saturday.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:53 AM

Default Finish for December

I have a finish, it’s small but some progress. Chemo brain is still a problem for me so I am taking mini bites to get the house back to what we want and sewing has been on the back burner. Last year I started this wall hanging for my friend who is still going thru cancer treatments. I had originally designed it to paper piece the letters. But after making about a dozen letters, I wasn’t happy with the look so I went to x-stitching the saying instead. I don’t have an embroidery machine so that wasn’t an option. The fabrics in the hanging are from her Chemo quilt that I made a few years ago. On the plus side I have been sewing binding down on the church's comfort quilts, slowing getting my sewing mojo back!

The hanging was finished last month, I read the thread weekly but had to get the gumption to post. Lots of great finishes
Attached Thumbnails dsci0386-2-.jpg