Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 02-05-2021, 06:21 PM

Julienm1: Yes those scraps do multiply! I need to put away a variety of fabrics pulled for several projects. Some of them were pulled to see if I liked them for different projects. I will work on cleaning the area over the weekend.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 02-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:25 AM

Connie, it sounds like you are making great progress...keep up the momentum.

Watson, I bet it is a wonderful feeling to have your threads organized. You seem to have a nice inventory of colors.

julienm1, I agree that our scraps add up quicker than we can make use of them. That’s why I like to do a declutter each January.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:37 AM

Well, it's a new day and I'm still working on old projects...read jelly rolls and scraps. UGH! Got the rubber bands ready to go so will start tri folding or bi folding and get those jelly rolls rounded up.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:31 AM

I am cutting my 2.5" squares for the 2021-2022 Birthday Swap on this board. I have one of those big old bins of scraps that needs to get organized and out of my way. My plan was to cut 2.5" squares but found a photo on the QB a month or so ago of a scrappy quilt made of "bricks" 3.5 X 6.5 that caught my eye. So, I am working my way through the bin by only cutting bricks, 2.5 squares and 2.5 strips. Here is a photo of what I am starting with this fine cold snowy morning.
Attached Thumbnails scrap-bin-2-6-21.jpg  
Old 02-06-2021, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Oh WMUTeach...love how you get sidetracked..

T shirts are all deboned, planned out in EQ and a Word document of cutting instructions finished. I put each of the quilts in their own bags with backing and additional needed fabric. Just not ready to work on these and hey graduation is in late May with celebrations in July!

I came across a bag with light/dark 1 1/2 strips as well as a big chunk of yardage. What was my plan for this? After a search in my EQ programs I found it! A 9P scrappy in strips using the lovely dark coral/light rust yardage I bought because I liked it! I sorted the strips into short, medium, and long. So I am making 9P's, but also making 4 4P units for another quilt and a single rail fence block 2 1/2" square as I go...talk about being side tracked Oh but it's mindless sewing on a sub zero day with bread baking in the machine.
Attached Thumbnails strips-onine-coral-fabric.jpg  
Old 02-06-2021, 10:58 AM

Cool quilt oksewglad!

Wmuteach- that’s what I’m doing today, too. I’ve been ironing and cutting scraps into 2.5” squares to make 16 patches for the Debbie Brown Feb. quilt. Also sewing crumbs together for an improvisational quilt top when I get tired of ironing and cutting. I somehow let my scrap bin get completely out of control over the last couple of months, so it will take more than 1 session to get them organized and put away . One good thing- Between last month’s Debbie Brown QAL, this month’s DB QAL and the improv crumb quilt I managed to empty a drawer and use it to store some of the stuff that had been floating from one surface to another in my studio.

Rob
Old 02-06-2021, 01:31 PM

As I've said before. My sewing and fabric rooms are not messy. Everything is out on display. Like a museum!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:41 PM

I quilted my drawers!
Organization idea from this board about 6 years ago....using a file cabinet!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:52 PM

Julienm1: You are making great progress!

WMUTeach: That’s a perfect project to start on a cold and snowy day.

oksewglad: Way to go with the T-shirt quilt organization! Pretty future quilt.

Rob: Awesome to your empty fabric drawer!

Julienm1: Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting use of file cabinets.

My son’s coworker had a couple of drawer units (looks like the bottom of cupboards) in his truck and my son asked what he was going to do with them. The coworker told him their plans and then they changed their minds and now they are sitting in my garage. Lol! One has 3 deeper drawers. I only looked quickly because it’s very cold outside. My son thought I could use them in my sewing room. 🤷‍♀️ I need to measure them and figure out if I want to use them or not. For now, they can stay in the garage.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:37 AM

Progress on cutting up my bin of scraps is amazingly slow. I have a huge stack of "bricks" and 2.5's but the bin still looks full! Agrrrrr. Back to cutting more this afternoon and evening. I guess I was naive to think I could empty that bin in a week-end. But, onward ever onward to reach my goal of an empty scrap bin.

The filing cabinet idea is clever, but I have already invested my time and $$$ in another way to store my fabric. Glad to see a way to repurpose those filing cabinets. They are a dime-a-dozen in resale shops and at my university. So much of what was once saved as paper is now saved electronically. Filing cabinets are flying out of offices and into some mystery storage building waiting for a good purposeful use.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-07-2021 at 03:40 AM.