Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Acetone nail polish for cleaning crud >

Acetone nail polish for cleaning crud

Acetone nail polish for cleaning crud

Old 01-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Default Acetone nail polish for cleaning crud

I know, I know it sounds risky but I was desperate! I was working on the grungiest, most disgusting 401 and after much soaking, etc. with the usual kerosene, Krud Kutter, etc., in desperation I tried nail polish remover containing acetone. I could not believe how the gunk and grime wiped off with just a light touch! I was very cautious at first thinking I might damage the paint but the only thing I removed was crud! I would never try this on a black shellac finish but cheap dollar store remover worked like a charm for me on my "newer" 401.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Oops! Should be nail polish REMOVER

I was so excited about my discovery that I forgot to proofread
Old 01-03-2021, 11:34 AM

You should be able to edit a post within 20 minutes. (oops, just realized it was the title and I'm not sure you can delete a starting post, but I think you can, if soon enough.)

I still wouldn't get the acetone anywhere near an old or new machine. I might use it for the removable metal parts - away from the machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:42 PM

I am glad that worked out for you. I have rolled the dice a few times using some harsh chemicals. I have used acetone to soften or remove super glue. Sometimes all works out, sometimes not.

Acetone can melt plastic. It can liquify it. The strength of the acetone, the quantity used, and the length of time of acetone contact makes a difference in the results. Try acetone on some plastic junk items and see what happens. It can ruin the finish of a plastic machine.

I think it is wise to always test first in an inconspicuous and inconsequential place before using acetone on anything. A little acetone may take something off of a tough surface, but it will likely take any shine off of a lot of finishes and it may even leave a hole in some.

On this general subject, I was cleaning some glass with rubbing alcohol on a cloth, and I happened to run the cloth across a Sew Steady since I was in the area. The alcohol immediately began removing the lettering of the Sew Steady! I am usually pretty careful but I did not anticipate that, even though I have successfully used rubbing alcohol to remove marker ink from plastic sewing machine cases and accessory boxes.