Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to add a cut out from a sweatshirt to another sweatshirt >

How to add a cut out from a sweatshirt to another sweatshirt

How to add a cut out from a sweatshirt to another sweatshirt

Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 AM

Default How to add a cut out from a sweatshirt to another sweatshirt

I cut out a real cute picture on an old sweatshirt and I want to put it on the front of another sweatshirt. What is the process for doing this. The cut out is about 8"x10" but I won't be making it square. I would like to cut out around the picture and then zigzag the picture to the other sweatshirt. Will this work OK.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:20 AM

I would back the full cut out with a fusible and then trim it to shape, and fuse it to the sweatshirt. Read the directions for your fusible though, as some fusible might not be strong enough to penetrate that heavy of fabric. You may need to use some pins as well before attaching it to your sweatshirt. I would also place a tear away stabilizer under the sweatshirt you are fusing to, and stitch a straight stitch outline in matching thread on the piece being appliquéd , to hold it in place, then go back and do the zigzag...... just my thoughts. Years back I did a similar idea with an eagle shape, but it was cotton and fused it to the front of a sweatshirt.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I suspect that zig zagging it to another stretchy fabric will cause wrinkles around the edge. Perhaps do a narrow facing to turn back the edges of the square and then do a method to attach like hand sewn buttons?
Old 01-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I do this for tee shirts a lot. Especially the ones my friend machine embroiders a pretty design on them. I cut out the design, usually free form or a big rectangle and then raw edge sew it on another tee shirt. I starch and press both areas stiff and smooth and then sew. I usually match the color of the tee shirt. Machine embroidery takes a lot of thread and time to toss the design because of a stained or worn out tee shirt.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Another option might be to cut the square out about 1/2 bigger then you want, straight or zig zag it to the sweatshirt 1/2 inch from the edge and then snip into the 1/2 inch for a rag style edge. Once the sweatshirt has been washed, the rag edge will curl up.