Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap >

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Old 02-05-2021, 04:11 AM

Yes, Sewbizgirl, our new swap begins in March and we have just one March birthday.....so far.

I started cutting scraps yesterday into 2.5's and putting into some clear plastic storage boxes I found at the Dollar Store. Even with my deep stash of 2.5's the Debby Brown Color Blocks Quilt Along eats up colors quickly and I ran out of some colors. The result is I went diving into my scrap bin and cut, cut, cut. Double purpose don't ya know. Some for the monthly quilt along and others for our swap.

I was planning on cutting for our swap during the Super Bowl as I have for a number of years, but now, I will be just assembling my little packages.during the game. The first year of the swap I did my cutting one month at a time and found that waaay too much work and it spoiled the fun. Prepping my packages all at once leaves me with just adding a little message then addressing the envelope. Ta-Da! Ready for the mailbox.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:07 AM

I have all my fabrics cut, just finished this morning. I cut 24-28 sets. I feared I didn't have enough variety in fabrics, so I ordered two scrap bags from Quilted Twins https://www.quiltedtwins.com/shop/Pr...-x50949646.htm . They certainly filled in the gaps and I am really impressed with the variety and quality. I used my XL Stripology ruler and my! it makes it so much faster! But now I need to buy new rotary cutter blades, lol!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I used my XL Stripology ruler and my! it makes it so much faster! But now I need to buy new rotary cutter blades, lol!
I don't know how I would live without my Stripology ruler!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:24 AM

NZ - one thing always leads to another! Wouldn't be grand to have 25 in the swap this year. Still room for more. At this time we are at 17. I am prepping for 20 but can always make more.

I was doing some wandering and searching for 2.5 information. Here is what I found. Wish it was all on a single chart, but none the less here is the info.

One slice of a layer cake will give you 16, 2.5 squares.
A fat quarter will yield 56 2.5 squares (based on an 18 X 22 FQ)
A jelly role strip will give 16 2.5 squares ( based on a 42" strip or 2.5" width of fabric cut)
and of course a charm square will give you 4 2.5's.

If you are using pre-cuts do not assume that they are accurate, Measure twice and cut once.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:04 PM

well, I sure hope we get more signing up because I'm prepping for 36.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:25 PM

Hello Macybaby. Looks like you get to be in the deep freeze this weekend along with WMUTeach and I! Brrrrrr! I'm ready for Spring!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

I have cut 36 sets too, Macybaby!

NZ, cant wait to see your scrap fabrics from Quilted Twins! Fun! ( I always love someone else's NEW scraps more than my old scraps, because I'm so tired of them.)

Maybe I should start a scrappy 5" swap, so I can get rid of share more of my scraps.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:43 AM

SBG, I did have a lot of fun cutting up new scraps for the candies! So much funnier than cutting up my own.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:43 PM

I just started cutting, but ended up spend most of my time unrolling and refolding the fabric. Most of them has been sitting around for the past five years. It was like seeing old friends.
SBG, If you are hosting the 5" swap. I am in.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ahwu View Post
SBG, If you are hosting the 5" swap. I am in.
I am thinking about it... they are something we could use really well with our birthday candies. Let me think on the best way to do it, so I don’t go crazy sorting them.