Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting made from plastic bottles? >

Batting made from plastic bottles?

Batting made from plastic bottles?

Old 01-15-2021, 05:31 PM

Default Batting made from plastic bottles?

The woman who does my long arm work and from whom I buy my batting said she now carries batting made from plastic bottles. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM

This is only a guess, but I would expect it to have properties like polyester more than a natural fiber like cotton or wool.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:23 PM

I’ve used it for a number of quilts. The one I use is called Dream Green. I like it. It is a little thicker than warm and natural cotton or the Hobbs blend (80/20] but not as thick as the Hobbs heirloom tuscan wool. It is a synthetic, but It doesn’t seem as slippery during quilting as some of the polyester battings. I like the fact that it is a recycled material and that it is lofty enough to give good definition to the quilting. It is also easy to handle.

Rob

Old 01-15-2021, 08:20 PM

Rob--I have a quilt (3D) pieced for 12 yr old grandson and he's requested "puffy" batting. Do you think the Dream Green is loftier than the Dream Poly? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Rob--I have a quilt (3D) pieced for 12 yr old grandson and he's requested "puffy" batting. Do you think the Dream Green is loftier than the Dream Poly? Thanks!

Not sure, I’ve not used dream poly. I would not call the dream green a “puffy” batting, though it does give good definition. For really puffy batting, you might be better off with wool or one of the thicker poly battings.

Rob
Old 01-16-2021, 10:48 AM

I am wondering how the Dream Green responds to an Iron?? Any info on this? I am all about recycled materials.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I first used Dream Green batting ( made from battles, by the Dream company almost 20 years ago (2004 I think) it was great to work with and the quilts I used it in have held up great. That summer we were making ( Beach quilts) and I used that batting. They get used a lot, laundered like any beach towel. Great batting for utility quilts
Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Not sure, I’ve not used dream poly. I would not call the dream green a “puffy” batting, though it does give good definition. For really puffy batting, you might be better off with wool or one of the thicker poly battings.

Rob
Thanks Rob--think I'll just call my friend that has a BattingSuperSales and ask her--I'm really wanting to use poly on this so it's kid proof. But darn if he doesn't want a "puffy" quilt!