Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quatrefoil QOV >

Quatrefoil QOV

Quatrefoil QOV

Old 01-15-2021, 06:37 PM

Default Quatrefoil QOV

Hello Quilters! I made a post here a few days ago about wanting to get 5 tops done this month for QOV. This quilt top is called Quatrefoil and #5 although I now have my needed fabrics to go back and finish #2 & #3. I had put this one off until last, as it had a lot of pieces to a block. The reason it went so fast, is because I enlisted my hubby to help.
I worry about him because although I stay busy, he just sits and watches re-runs of Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, or game shows. I would be down, depressed, if I just sat. I have been walking down our road, when it's sun shiny and not too cold. I try to get him out and walk with me, but no. So I got him in my sewing room to just put my pieces right sides together. It sure helps when you had (80) 2 patches of red/tan to go with 80 of blue tan to make 4 patches or 80 squares to snowball. We got it done in 3 days! I think that is amazing, if I have to say so myself, because I had planned for a week on my own. He sure was good help and got him out of that chair. He kinda got me nervous though, as he was ready for the next step, before I could get them all sewed!-lol-Hope you like our top! Also, made the pillowcase today.
I also am showing #4 a Bow Tie. I like it at any angle. My first time doing a Bow Tie, too. So I gave myself the month of January to make these and I should be able to go back and complete the other two. This Quatrefoil came out 66 x 80. I haven't measured the Bow Tie but it is at least 60 x 80.

Attached Thumbnails toogies-qov-quatrefoil.jpg   toogies-qov-bow-tie.jpg   toogies-qov-bow-tie-angled.jpg   toogies-qov-quatrefoil-w-pillowcase.jpg  
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 PM

You and. your work are very impressive!
Old 01-15-2021, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Great QOV and pillowcase!
Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 AM

Wonderful finish and generous work. My DH also has difficulty this time of year, unfortunately he does not have many hobbies and the few he does have are seasonal in the summer months. We have 3 bee hives but they are in for the winter and he has a couple of antique cars but not are also stored for the winter. I told him he should take up housecleaning.😝
Old 01-16-2021, 04:26 AM

Default hubby

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hello Quilters! I made a post here a few days ago about wanting to get 5 tops done this month for QOV. This quilt top is called Quatrefoil and #5 although I now have my needed fabrics to go back and finish #2 & #3. I had put this one off until last, as it had a lot of pieces to a block. The reason it went so fast, is because I enlisted my hubby to help.
I worry about him because although I stay busy, he just sits and watches re-runs of Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, or game shows. I would be down, depressed, if I just sat. I have been walking down our road, when it's sun shiny and not too cold. I try to get him out and walk with me, but no. So I got him in my sewing room to just put my pieces right sides together. It sure helps when you had (80) 2 patches of red/tan to go with 80 of blue tan to make 4 patches or 80 squares to snowball. We got it done in 3 days! I think that is amazing, if I have to say so myself, because I had planned for a week on my own. He sure was good help and got him out of that chair. He kinda got me nervous though, as he was ready for the next step, before I could get them all sewed!-lol-Hope you like our top! Also, made the pillowcase today.
I also am showing #4 a Bow Tie. I like it at any angle. My first time doing a Bow Tie, too. So I gave myself the month of January to make these and I should be able to go back and complete the other two. This Quatrefoil came out 66 x 80. I haven't measured the Bow Tie but it is at least 60 x 80.

Over 20 years ago when I quit teaching I began quilting. My husband was still working 2nd shift. He'd come up to my sewing room to spend time with me before going to work. He would tell friends.. that was the only way to see me since I was busy learning my craft. After a little time I asked him if he would learn how to cut with the rotary cutter. He started cutting out my fabric for patterns I was working on. Fast forward a little and I asked if he would start sewing squares together... he did and enjoyed it. I think it was somewhat calming for him to do mindless sewing. Eventually he learned to make his own simple quilt and later harder patterns. He even bought his own machine. A few years later I bought a longarm machine.. he would load the quilt to the machine. Eventually he wanted to use the longarm To this day he will quilt for the guild's community service charity quilts.. over 300 in 3 years. He does quilt for fellow members as well.
So what I'm try to say is that maybe you can get him more envolved. Encourage him somehow. Going to quilt shops. Maybe a quilt show when covid ends. Give him quilt magazines to read or look at.. ask his opion on color choices when planning. It is amazing how much he might enjoy it and get him out of his chair.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:28 AM

Great finishes!! Maybe you can get your husband to help you more, he might even like to make his own quilt, at least it gives him something to do besides sit and watch tv. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:59 AM

Beautiful quilts. You two make a great team.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:40 AM

Great quilts and pillowcase, and great job getting your husband involved! I keep hinting to mine to come upstairs and help me cut...he is very detail oriented and would do a great job. We usually head south for part of the winter, but not this year, so he is kind of at a loss. He golfs and loves to putter outside...difficult to do in Ohio in the winter!
I will show him your story, and it may give him a nudge! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:50 AM

Beautiful QOV quilts. Love the pillowcase!
Old 01-16-2021, 06:29 AM

Beautiful quilts..my late husband was an aircraft systems engineer and he was great at cutting out quilts for me. I really miss him.😢