Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Issues >

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Old 02-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
.........I've realized that sewing over the seams is often where everything breaks down. The needle seems to stick and yank the quilt up, stitches are skipped, the bobbin thread can go off synch, and the thread can break near the needle. I'm currently using a 14 ball point needle (waiting for top stitch needles from Schmetz).......
Good for you for keeping at it! Give yourself credit for that, and for being as observant as to what is happening when! That helps you identify the problem now, and learn from it.

A couple of thoughts that may help you. You are using a ball point needle. They are traditionally used for jerseys, knits, fleece and the like, not for cottons, nor quilting. Switching to the Top Stitch needles when you get them, might be what you need!

Here's a link that may give you some info about which needles and when ....
ITS82-OCT20LR.pdf (euronotions.com)
FYI, there are a lot more types of needles than are noted in this online booklet.

Your Ball Point needle is probably coping, until it gets to the bulk of the seams. The sharpness from the Top Stitch needles (or other sharp needles) should make a difference at the seams and throughout your FMQing. It will be able to punch down through the bulk, grab the thread and come back up much easier than with the Ball Point needle.

Top Stitch needles are one of my go-to's for quilting. Also, Embroidery and Microtex. Surprisingly, I seldom use a Quilting needle for FMQ, but more so for for straight quilting or piecing. I keep my notes, from one project to the other, to help me know where to start, and minimize problems ............ and help it be less frustrating when something goes awry, as it inevitably will!

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

If I do machine quilting I press my seams open for less bulk. It makes a difference.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:02 AM

So, I went back to a 90/14 quilting needle, which is the first needle I was using when I started this nightmare, and it's working better. BUT I'm not currently encountering the bulky seams that seem to create so many problems. If it starts choking and thread starts breaking again, I will try an 80/12. Maybe the smaller needle will pierce the seam more easily and grab less. I think you are right about the thread/needle combo. With so many variables, it's really hard to double shoot. I always stitch on a practice block first but it's just a muslin sandwich, not pieced with bulky seams, so it's not always a good indicator of how all will work on the actual quilt. The good news now is that, if it works sometimes, it's probably not my FMQ itself. Not that it's great, but the struggle is probably teaching me more than I realize at the present time. Thank you for your help!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:02 PM

I'm ready to give up quilting and take up boondoggle. I have tried smaller needles, quilting needles and purchased topstitch needles. It seemed the 80/12 did better with a 50 weight thread. When I switched back to a 40 weight (Great Barrier Reef variegated YLI machine quilting thread) the thread started to shred at the needle again. I went up to a 90/14 and I'm still having trouble. I lowered the top tension and now the tension is too loose and it looks crappy on the underside. I'm at a loss. Bulky seams definitely present a problem but even when I'm not stitching over the bulkiest (which I will ALWAYS PRESS OPEN FROM NOW ON) the thread is shredding if the tension is good for meeting in the middle of the sandwich. I have never had so many problems! Is it the glue baste? I did a lot of FMQ (script, drawings, flowers) on a baby quilt and didn't have a single one of these problems. No more suggestions, I'll take prayers. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I'm ready to give up quilting and take up boondoggle. I have tried smaller needles, quilting needles and purchased topstitch needles. It seemed the 80/12 did better with a 50 weight thread. When I switched back to a 40 weight (Great Barrier Reef variegated YLI machine quilting thread) the thread started to shred at the needle again. I went up to a 90/14 and I'm still having trouble. I lowered the top tension and now the tension is too loose and it looks crappy on the underside. I'm at a loss. Bulky seams definitely present a problem but even when I'm not stitching over the bulkiest (which I will ALWAYS PRESS OPEN FROM NOW ON) the thread is shredding if the tension is good for meeting in the middle of the sandwich. I have never had so many problems! Is it the glue baste? I did a lot of FMQ (script, drawings, flowers) on a baby quilt and didn't have a single one of these problems. No more suggestions, I'll take prayers. Thank you.
Gosh I’m sorry you are having issues. I glue baste all the time and once it’s dry never had an issue. I would suggest getting your machine checked out.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. The issues I’m having seem to be inconsistent so I can never really find a solution. I pieced the whiole thing without a problem and quilted with a walking foot without a problem. I had the machine serviced last summer. It’s the Brother 1500S so it’s completely mechanical. Oh woe is me. 🙄
Old 02-06-2021, 12:31 PM

I’m going to try running the machine slower. Not that I go crazy fast!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

.............Is it the glue baste? I did a lot of FMQ (script, drawings, flowers) on a baby quilt and didn't have a single one of these problems. No more suggestions, I'll take prayers. Thank you.
I've never done glue basting, but you could be on to something when you know you were doing just fine before glue basting entered your life! You know you CAN do the FMQing, so don't beat yourself up.

Make a sample to try FMQing without the glue baste and see what happens. Ideally, make it as identical as you can to your quilt, i.e. same fabrics, batting, similar block structure to get similar seams etc. It doesn't have to be huge. Rather than making it for the scrap bin, I like to make things that are usable. Eg. small table topper, runner, place mat, vase mat, etc. These give me a chance to get my system setup the way I like, as I get my own body in the flow of FMQing and try out the stitching pattern(s) I want to use.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:52 AM

Default Still stuck trouble shooting

Thanks you. I will try that in the future bc I have no blocks left. I used precuts and they are all in the quilt. I do have some of the backing glued to bedding left over from trimming it down after gluing the sandwich together but I folded it over and itself so it’s a double thickness. I used the previously posted link to a Leah Day video. She spoke about Her dad trying to quilt circles and having problems. Her conclusion is that machines are sometimes being cranky about sewing in all directions and suggests turning the quilt slightly. I’m trying to quilt flowers which are very circular in nature and I do believe that’s part of the problem. I switched over to my Bernett b79 machine and the problem was even worse than on my brother 1500. It seems that in order to finish this quilt, I’m going to have to rethread after each flower. It’s exasperating!
Old 02-07-2021, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Thanks you. I will try that in the future bc I have no blocks left. I used precuts and they are all in the quilt. I do have some of the backing glued to bedding left over from trimming it down after gluing the sandwich together but I folded it over and itself so it’s a double thickness. I used the previously posted link to a Leah Day video. She spoke about Her dad trying to quilt circles and having problems. Her conclusion is that machines are sometimes being cranky about sewing in all directions and suggests turning the quilt slightly. I’m trying to quilt flowers which are very circular in nature and I do believe that’s part of the problem. I switched over to my Bernett b79 machine and the problem was even worse than on my brother 1500. It seems that in order to finish this quilt, I’m going to have to rethread after each flower. It’s exasperating!
That is very true. Some machines don’t like to go in certain directions. Also are you using washable school glue? Honestly I have used that in upwards of 20 quilts and use the PQ 1500 and that isn’t a problem for me.